Thread: fixing a leak

fixing a leak

hi guys
    today i was working on champion chiller, it was short on gas , looked for a leak and found it . it was on suction line on the compressor(scroll comp ) . i mean where the suction pipe comes out of the compressor. in the corner. so i was not very confident in fixing it. but reclaimed the gas , patched the leak , pressure tested and bubble tested it no leaks. so started charging but after running for 5 minutes the leak appeared again.

i know changing the compressor will be the best option. and may be putting a vibration absorbing suction line ( i don't know the name of that part) but what else can i do to solve the problem ,

may be some tips on joining body of compressor made of iron i thing to copper or something

you guys know better

i will be very thankful

Re: fixing a leak

I think you mean chewing gum, that will fix it!

i think for covering the 7/8 copper all around on that compressor i will have to chew a lot of chewing gum and might get sore jaws as well so i think duct tape will do the job , wrap it around the compressor. hahahahahhaha after a hard long day i laughed today

If its where the stub is joined to the body you will need to clean all the paint and oil away and silver solder it with 40% silver solder and flux. But the heat may damage the motor.

As you say, a vibration eliminator will be a good idea to prevent a similar failure.
    Mostly found in Oxfordshire, UK :)

What did you patch it with?
    How is the suction line connected to the comp?

Quote Originally Posted by monkey spanners View Post
    If its where the stub is joined to the body you will need to clean all the paint and oil away and silver solder it with 40% silver solder and flux. But the heat may damage the motor.

As you say, a vibration eliminator will be a good idea to prevent a similar failure.
    I don't think the motor will be damaged if you do it quick with high flame.

If you put it under vacuum, it will not heat the motor.

hi all ,
    tell me how will putting a system on a vac , stop a comp , overheating if you are soldering a joint ? why not put wet rags on the comp TO TAKE THE HEAT way ? as always = sedgy

usually scroll pots have a suction accumulator- so basically you can have it glowing without damagin the pot.
    did a mitsi pot and overheated the suction stubb and melted the solder on the stubb- managed to repair with silver solder, (as wise monkey stated) by building up the solder you get more strength in the joint and with solder u dont need to get it as hot, plenty of flux
    oh and silver solder, not plumbing solder
    Last edited by install monkey; 28-06-2013 at 06:52 PM. Reason: it was a pizza company in sheffield,meadow hall

Quote Originally Posted by sedgy View Post
    hi all ,
    tell me how will putting a system on a vac , stop a comp , overheating if you are soldering a joint ? why not put wet rags on the comp TO TAKE THE HEAT way ? as always = sedgy
    Heat needs some substance to get from one place to another such as water, air, refrigerant, etc.
    Vacuum is used widely to insulate. That's why large CO2, Nitrogen and Oxygen tanks are vacuum insulated.
    heat doe's not travel in vacuum. Therefore it will protect the motor winding's from getting hot while you solder the joint.

yea , i patched it up with silver solder , boss was recommending to use blue tip with 40% silver but i just used the brown tip with lots of flux. and also the suction line have 2 big turn to serve the vibration instead of straight solid line joint to the comp . pressure tested it no leaks bubble checked as well, charged it while checking for leaks again for about 45 minutes but no leaks now. looks like a successful mission but still having a feeling that leak will appear again in near future. but figures crossed. thanks for the guidance i never knew any thing about blue tip or 40% silver. another lesson learnt.