Threaded View

three terminal start relay

Ok, my brain is melting on this one.

I swapped a compressor (aea3425yxa, 1/5hp) for a new compressor. Same techumseh model number, but they were out. However, they did some searching and I got the same compressor, rebadged under a manitowok part number. New compressor still shows aea3425yxa.

Difference is in the start relay. The new start relay has two terminals for the compressor (m and s) and only one other terminal. I'm used to four terminal relays, m, s, and a place to put line voltage and another to attach the start capacitor.

The tech sheet from tecumseh specifies that it should be used with a start capacitor. I'm very hesitant to hook up the old start relay because the compressor is a burnout and I haven't excluded the start relay.

So, any hints on how to hook up a start relay with only one terminal (aside from the compressor hook-up) ? Is this a wrong part, meant for some compressor that doesn't require a start capacitor?

I have been reading schematics in my refrigeration bible, and haven't found a thing.

20130615_211628.jpg
    Old relay on left new one on right.

Any pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
    Last edited by clearchris; 16-06-2013 at 03:22 AM.