Hi from Norway - need a bit of help

Hi all,m brand spanking new here. I`m from the UK but live in Norway and work for a chain of bars/nightclubs and restaurants.
    anyway, we have about half a dozen PORKKA ice cube machines, and i`ve been souring the net to try to find a service manual for one but without success..
    is there anyone out there who can point me in the right direction?
    have tried porkka but never get a reply..

cheers

steve

Re: Hi from Norway - need a bit of help

Try maidaid manuals I've come across porkka ice machines that are maidaid but badged up porkka.

thanks mate, i tried that but they only supply to UK and Ireland..i`m in Norway

Quote Originally Posted by steve10001 View Post
    thanks mate, i tried that but they only supply to UK and Ireland..i`m in Norway
    But you are only after a manual??

Or pick our brains, what issues are you having? Flake or cube, the flakers are useless beyond 2 years, seized motors/augers.

Parts support in the UK is pretty good, can't imagine they'd have an issue with manuals (if there are any?)

Alec
    Mostly found in the southern part of this green and pleasant land.

thanks for all of your replies, we we have one machine thats just come back from a "service", but it just keeps shutting itself off after 30 odd seconds, the pump housing is very hot and i would like to find out how to remove and change it myself.
    another porkka has a cooling fan motor thats busted, again i`d like to find out how to remove and change that too.
    another has a bad condenser, and yet another is building up ice and harvesting normally on half of the grid, but the other half just keeps building up all the time and not harvesting at all.

Basically, the service guys are terribly expensive and don't come out to fix the machines when we need them to, because of their heavy workload. so we`ve decided to fix them ourselves (as much as we can that is.)

cheers

steve

Hi Steve.
    I cannot say as to the actual regs in Norway.
    But I am sure they are the same as here in the UK as we are all part of the EU.

Basically whilst you a non trained (Fridge) but hopefully a engineer.
    Want us, the guys on this forum.
    Who have to go through all sorts of hoops and pay for certification etc.
    To provide you with the means to fix the problem yourself.
    It's not going to happen Steve.

It is illegal for an non up to-date (C&G 2079) engineer or anyone else to work on refrigeration equipment.
    So you can understand why you are drawing a blank!
    I am sure that if you explain your actual Mechanical issues then someone may well advise?

But as to a Haynes manual - Nah!

Sorry to be so harsh but your Local engineers are expensive for a reason.
    Grizzly

Quote Originally Posted by Grizzly View Post
    Hi Steve.
    I cannot say as to the actual regs in Norway.
    But I am sure they are the same as here in the UK as we are all part of the EU.

Basically whilst you a non trained (Fridge) but hopefully a engineer.
    Want us, the guys on this forum.
    Who have to go through all sorts of hoops and pay for certification etc.
    To provide you with the means to fix the problem yourself.
    It's not going to happen Steve.

It is illegal for an non up to-date (C&G 2079) engineer or anyone else to work on refrigeration equipment.
    So you can understand why you are drawing a blank!
    I am sure that if you explain your actual Mechanical issues then someone may well advise?

But as to a Haynes manual - Nah!

Sorry to be so harsh but your Local engineers are expensive for a reason.
    Grizzly
    guess i`l just take a course then

Our local engineers are expensive yes, but when we have one machine with a burned out fan motor, and the machine next to it (which is exactly the same), with a knackered condenser - and throw in the fact that its friday afternoon and youre expecting the nights turnover to be around 100,000 quid, what would be the sensible thing to do?

I would have thought that taking the fan from the one machine and putting it in the other would be the way to go. But no, our engineers (2) have to order a new motor from Italy because they dont have any spare ones in town. I ask them why they cant just swap the motor and was told that it was too much work.
    seeing as it was 4 bolts and i`m not a complete muppet, i did it myself, rules and regs be damned. and given that you guys are engineers, i suspect that you would have changed a leaky pipe under the sink yourselves rather that wait a week for a plumber to come round and sort it out for you.

Oh, and we had to pay for the callout too.

So if I get this right, you got a pice of kit that is vital for you to turn over £100k/night and the question is what I would do if I were in your shoes?

Personally, anything mission critical like that would be duplicated with one duty and one stand by. Both of which would be replaced as soon as their warranties run out, keeping them for a maximum of 2 years before they were sold on on the secondhand market.

But that's just me...

Quote Originally Posted by The Viking View Post
    So if I get this right, you got a pice of kit that is vital for you to turn over £100k/night and the question is what I would do if I were in your shoes?

Personally, anything mission critical like that would be duplicated with one duty and one stand by. Both of which would be replaced as soon as their warranties run out, keeping them for a maximum of 2 years before they were sold on on the secondhand market.

But that's just me...
    a very valid point, but as i am not the one in charge of servicing these machines, i don't have too much control over how regularly they get checked out. My job is just to control that the bars and restaurants are running smoothly and to take care of any problems that arise.
    Tomorrow i`ll find out how old they are and where/when/if can get new ones. they usually go for about 4000 quid for a 2400w one as far as i remember . I may be wrong, but i`m sure at least a couple of our units are leased, i`ll look into that too.
    It wasn't my intention to come across as arrogant in my last post, but i wasn't asking anyone to solve the problems i was presenting, just to acquire a couple of service manuals so i could learn more about them, why/how they go wrong and how easy or difficult it would be to replace some of the simpler parts in case no-one else was around to do it.

Hi Steve.
    A fair point, well put.

If after you the customer, points out a simple mechanical answer to go part way to helping the situation.
    And the replies were negative, I would consider changing service company.
    "We" like to be helpful as we like repeat business.

Yes! You can and are entitled to do mechanical works on your own kit.
    However the leased stuff I would check what's agreed?
    Some suppliers are very specific in what can be done and who can do it.
    What you suggested in swapping the fans over makes sense.
    But then again, say the fan you fitted seized and the fan blade was thrown into the unit (which does happen) causing untold damage.
    Who is liable then.
    Just maybe these guys have had similar situations backfire on them in the past?

Grizzly

Porkka is not a machine i'd put in a busy bar, Manitowic, Scotsman, Hoshizaki all designed for high throughput, the busiest bars here (and they are fairly busy, given our reputation for drink), tend not to have major backup, usually a large machine with a bin big enough for one nights use and a small machine local to the bar, the difference is that if i get a call to a busted ice machine its a priority, parts for the above makes are readily available, as Grizz says change service companies, when you say quid,do you mean krone?

alec
    Mostly found in the southern part of this green and pleasant land.

Quote Originally Posted by al View Post
    Porkka is not a machine i'd put in a busy bar, Manitowic, Scotsman, Hoshizaki all designed for high throughput, the busiest bars here (and they are fairly busy, given our reputation for drink), tend not to have major backup, usually a large machine with a bin big enough for one nights use and a small machine local to the bar, the difference is that if i get a call to a busted ice machine its a priority, parts for the above makes are readily available, as Grizz says change service companies, when you say quid,do you mean krone?

alec
    quid, i just checked out the price today, its 43000kr, or 4300 pounds give or take.
    everything is expensive here, we charge well over a tenner for a half liter or beer in one of our busiest places, so you can see why we can pull 100,000 pounds on the evening of the Norwegian national day - not every day unfortunately.

anyway, spoke to the fridge guys today, they said that they are expecting a fan in the post for the one machine, and they will take a look at another they just serviced and delivered back to us dead.
    will definitely take a peek at those two other models, the Manitowic & Hoshizaki, we already have a water cooled scotsman which is a nice piece of kit.