Thread: carrier 30s

carrier 30s

I have a cooling unit on a "Sprinter" that is causing headaches. After doing a bunch of trouble shooting, we checked the amperage draw on the individual windings of the motor. Two of the leads were drawing 48 amps while the rest were in the range of 0 to 17. Does this mean I need a new motor or is this one 'rebuildable'. It is a carrier motor and about $500 to replace.

Re: carrier 30s

Quote Originally Posted by quints View Post
    I have a cooling unit on a "Sprinter" that is causing headaches. After doing a bunch of trouble shooting, we checked the amperage draw on the individual windings of the motor. Two of the leads were drawing 48 amps while the rest were in the range of 0 to 17. Does this mean I need a new motor or is this one 'rebuildable'. It is a carrier motor and about $500 to replace.
    I'd check your capacitors first. 90% of the motor problems I've seen are from blown caps.

If the carbon brushes are just worn, they are easily replaced by removing the black plastic plugs at the end of the motor.

I'm assuming he's talking about the AC standby motor, not the DC fan motors.

Hi IRMechanik. You're right. I jumped the gun back there, and stand corrected. Thanks!