Energy Assessments

Got a cold call today from some organisation offering to go around some of the sites that I look after to check aircon units for efficiency? They endevoured to inform me that a new legislation had been introduced that made it a legal requirement for customers to have their systems checked for efficiency if they are larger than 12KW?

They tried to tell me that fridge and aircon engineers weren't suitably qualified or experienced enough to carryout this task? And that they had been assessed and accreditted to carry out the task. I let them go on as I had my phone on speaker, and as I was busy I didn't pay much attention until after they'd finished banging their gums and told them I would think about it.

Usually I would normally tell them I am busy, but at first she sounded like someone I know, so I let her continue.

Has anyone else experienced this? or know about any legislation that has been introduced that allows only this company to carry out the task? I'm sorry guys but I can't remember the company name as I wasn't really listening.

Training may be finished but experience is never complete.

Re: What did we do today?

Quote Originally Posted by chilliwilly View Post
    Got a cold call today from some organisation offering to go around some of the sites that I look after to check aircon units for efficiency? They endevoured to inform me that a new legislation had been introduced that made it a legal requirement for customers to have their systems checked for efficiency if they are larger than 12KW?

They tried to tell me that fridge and aircon engineers weren't suitably qualified or experienced enough to carryout this task? And that they had been assessed and accreditted to carry out the task. I let them go on as I had my phone on speaker, and as I was busy I didn't pay much attention until after they'd finished banging their gums and told them I would think about it.

Usually I would normally tell them I am busy, but at first she sounded like someone I know, so I let her continue.

Has anyone else experienced this? or know about any legislation that has been introduced that allows only this company to carry out the task? I'm sorry guys but I can't remember the company name as I wasn't really listening.
    it's the law....

EN44 energy assessment inspections- for any site with over 12kw (total output ) of comfort cooling- server rooms(with no desk) process cooling is not included- another money making scheme where a gimp looks at 10% of the systems on site-checks filters,coils clean-checks to see if timeclocks fitted, controllers are set at an eco friendly setpoint- doesn't check system performance or td across indoors- £250 for a day- actually 9-3 of doing very little and typing up a report

That's what it sounded like. So really its about as helpful as the home buyers pack that them bone idle dratsab estate agents endorsed. It really amazes me the amount of back handers that must go on to create this kind of job for someone.

Why on earth would you need to be assessed to do a job like that? She even said the price would be a trade price for my company, then I could put my mark up on top. (£250.00?)!!! I need to find out the cost of being assessed then include it when ever I do a service on a fridge or air con system, or a modest charge to cover the cost. Then maybe this will be like being part a p registered electrician notifying their own work. Then these fly fookers will have to start working for a living like the rest of us, or get out of the way of true progress?

There must be more refrigeration systems than aircon in circulation that are larger than 12 KW, or a combined number in some restaurants and markets. Probably just the tip of the iceberg.

hookster is offline Veteran Poster I am starting to push the Mods: of RE

Energy Assessments

The Energy Performance of Buildings (Certificates and Inspections) (England and Wales) Regulations 2007

PART 4 Inspection of air-conditioning systems

Application and interpretation of Part 4

20.—(1) This Part applies to air-conditioning systems with an effective rated output of more than 12kW.(2) Where the relevant person has the power to control the temperature of more than one individual air-conditioning unit in a building, each unit shall be considered to be a component of a single air-conditioning system for the purposes of paragraph (1).(3) In this Part “effective rated output” means the maximum calorific output specified and guaranteed by the manufacturer of the system as being deliverable during continuous operation while complying with the useful efficiency indicated by the manufacturer.Inspections of air-conditioning systems

21.—(1) It is the duty of the relevant person in relation to an air-conditioning system to which this Part applies to ensure that the system is inspected by an energy assessor at regular intervals not exceeding five years.(2) The first inspection of the system must take place before the relevant date.(3) In this regulation “the relevant date”—
    (a)
    where the system is first put into service on or after 1st January 2008, means the last day of the period of five years beginning with the date on which the system is first put into service; and
    (b)
    where paragraph (a) does not apply—

(i)
    in the case of a system with an effective rated output of more than 250kW, means 4th January 2009; or

(ii)
    in the case of a system with an effective rated output of more than 12kW, means 4th January 2011.

Reports

22.—(1) Where an energy assessor undertakes an inspection of the system he must make a written report of the inspection and give it to the relevant person as soon as practicable after completing the inspection.(2) The inspection report must include an assessment of the air-conditioning efficiency and the sizing of the system compared to the cooling requirements of the building, and contain appropriate advice on possible improvements to the system, replacement of the system and alternative solutions.(3) The inspection report must include the following information—
    (a)
    the address of the building in which the system is located;

(b)
    the name of the energy assessor;

(c)
    the name and address of the energy assessor’s employer, or, if he is self-employed, the name under which he trades and his address;

(d)
    the date on which the inspection occurred; and

(e)
    the name of the approved accreditation scheme of which the energy assessor is a member.

Keeping of records etc

23.—(1) The relevant person must keep the most recent inspection report made by an energy assessor pursuant to regulation 22.(2) Where the relevant person changes, the previous relevant person must give to the new relevant person any inspection report kept by him under this regulation.Changes of relevant person

24. Where on or after 4th January 2011—
    (a)
    the relevant person changes; and

(b)
    the new relevant person is not given any inspection report,

the new relevant person must ensure that the system is inspected within three months of the day on which he becomes the relevant person.
    Last edited by hookster; 26-01-2013 at 12:50 AM.
    I love the smell of Ammonia in the morning!

hookster is offline Veteran Poster I am starting to push the Mods: of RE

http://www.cibsetraining.co.uk/compo...t/article/2/53
    Training costs

Members rate: £240+VAT*
    Non-members rate: £255+VAT*
    Course dates and booking

London - 21st February 2013 - Click here to book
    London - 13th May 2013 - Click here to book

*What a bunch of ****ers!!!! "She even said the price would be a trade price for my company, then I could put my mark up on top. (£250.00?)!!!"

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2...0070991_en.pdf

7.21 The Regulations have been designed so as to allow as much flexibility to industry
    as possible. The Department expects that the air conditioning contracting industry will
    offer to incorporate these energy assessments within their routine maintenance and health
    and safety servicing regimes, but this is not essential.

Why does it always get turned into method of screwing people????
    Last edited by frank; 27-01-2013 at 06:55 PM.
    I love the smell of Ammonia in the morning!

Re: Energy Assessments

Hi,

I would be interested to know if anyone is actually having these carried out for their customers. Maybe some sort of vote.

Re: Energy Assessments

Up to now nobody has asked me about it, and as its not my job to tell them. Ignorance remains bliss and they have the choice to spend their money elsewhere, and not a peice of paper with ticks in box's that simply suggests that they upgrade their system everytime a greener design is introduced!