Warranty issue with Hotpoint F/F and Solar Power

I'm an Air Con engineer but one of my clients has asked if I could look at their Hotpoint Fridge/Freezer. I'm based in Spain and my client is using Solar Power as the main supply, backed up by a generator. I don't know much about solar power but am assuming the panels charge up a bank of batteries with the generatorkicking in as and when required. The clients appliance is only a few weeks old, but sadly not working. An engineer was called and said that the warranty is void due to it being connected to Solar Power and the problem is with the 'Condensor'.

My questions are :-

Has anyone had warranty issues by using solar power? I just can't understand the reasoning/difference where the power comes from

Any pointers as to where to look first? I've not been yet as I don't want to invalidate the warranty by touching it. It is quite normal for companies in Spain to drag their heals with regard to warranty issues.

My thoughts are either a internal fuse or Capacitor.

Re: Warranty issue with Hotpoint F/F and Solar Power

Not too sure myself but surely if its a condenser problem it's not got anything to do with the power supply anyway so warranty should be adhered to I would have thought. We do lots of warranty work and its only non warranty if another company has broke into the system or site has misused it.

I think I'll have to brush up my Spanish

Hotpoint Spain are pointing to a clause in the warranty that states there must be suitable power supply provided. The customers are think of taking them to court (they'll be waiting three years). I've just realised that capacitor in Spanish is 'condensador' . God, i'm feeling thick.....I'm presuming fridge/freezers will have them. Can anyone give me an idea of what size I need? I have plenty of 25mf and 35mf. I've also read somewhere that you can fit higher ratings but not lower, is that true?

It wants to be the correct size, too small and it won't start well or at all, too big and it can burn the start winding.
    Mostly found in Oxfordshire, UK :)

Hot point aren't backing down. The customers have already complained to a consumer group in Spain, but they are unable to help. The capacitor does appear bad but its 4 farads and the lowest I carry is 20. I do have 2 x 2 farad capacitors which are normally for the outdoor fan motors. If I wired them in parallel do you think that would work until I can source a proper one? Plus have you ever heard of a 'hard start capacitor' used on a domestic fridge/freezer?

Two 2uf caps in parallel will work just as well, (so long as voltage rating is ok).
    I have never used a hard start kit on a domestic fridge but i can see how it may help if there are low voltage issues, but i think it is used on CSIR and CSR motors, i suspect yours might be PSC motor due to the small 4uf capacitor size but i can't see it from here so....
    Mostly found in Oxfordshire, UK :)

I agree with monkey spanners, 2uf capacitors in parallel will serve the same purpose.

It turns out that the capacitor was ok now that I have a new tester...... The compressor hums and there is a couple of clicks as though its trying to start but nothing..... I'm suspecting a locked rotor now but unsure how to confirm. If it was, I've heard you can hit it with a hammer or reversing the cycle might free it up, but not sure how hard or what damage I may do. I've checked the windings and they seem ok.

You will need to prove the "quality" of the power. What is the inverter make and model?

Mike,
    The inverter is a Studer XTM 3500-24. The customers have a backup fridge they are using without any issues.

That inverter is pure sine wave and provides much cleaner power than the grid. As long as they are not drawing the batteries down and causing it to cut out on a regular bases, Hotpoint doesn't have a leg to stand on.