Just interested in feedback/thoughts/comments on this subject. Background on my interest?; I am looking at 2 options in replacing/ungrading my plant, consisting of 26 APAC packaged units, ranging from 80 kw to 25 kw.
My 1st option is to simply replace old for new, APAC out and Actron Air units in. Costly, due to the reach required to get units on/off the roof (required minimum of 40 meter reach from two sides. Roof is 3 storeys up), and also in that if replacing new units, we may need to run new fire rated cabling to replace the 22 year old pyro (cable runs are 70 meters max).
My 2nd option is to strip the existing units, and refit with R410A components. Although the unitsa are 22 years old, the bodies are in excellent condition. This is helped by the very dry conditions here at Alice Springs (Central Australia). From what I can work out, the internal/external coils will be ok for the higher pressure refrig. So they can stay. The rest (including control wiring, driers/filiters/defrosts ect) would all be replaced.
Costwise, the 2nd option is $300,000 cheaper in the long run (no crane, not alterations to RA/SA plenums, no alterations to mounting plinths, no new electricals to be run as it is existing plant).

But I would like some comparrisons as to what the current compressors are doing (full hermetic) with R22 compared with what a semi hermetic driving R410A would be doing workwise.

All comments greatly accepted