Genfrost, anyone worked on them?

Went to a service call to a Genfrost upright freezer and fridge the other day, freezer not pulling down and fridge not pulling down. Both were delivered to site back in September and have not been running properly. The owner of the site informed me that there wasn't a proper warranty with them, but they would replace the parts?

Checked usual stuff like fans, cleanliness, and had a feel of the high side and very hot. Checked pressures on freezer and showing about 15 psi on 404a but only 18 deg c air on temp with controller. Checked for leaks and no trace, phoned their tech support and spoke to someone and they said to top off as it may be short of gas?

Topped off with some gas and noticed temperture dropping down towards -4 deg c, but then pot tripped on hi temp.

Waited for it to cool and reset, and checked fridge whilst waiting. Checked pressure and found only 2 psi and air on temperature about 8 degc. After speaking with tech support again, they said to top it off if no leaks. Out of curiosity I asked if they had knowingley sold these units undercharged? And of course they said they didn't do things like that.

Anyway the freezer had reset and started fridging again but tripped out again only after 10 minutes. Decided that the overload had probably weakened probably due to tripping constantly, and that a high pressure leak test would be required to find a leak. But only would probably indicate a leak within the evaporator which was sealed and not accessible without destroying the cabinet?

Decided to condemn both units, as both require a recovery and N2 leak test but only with the manufacturers consent to pay for the time. And to replace both units if leaks have been detected.

So I am now awaiting their response. My instincts tell me that they will just replace them, hopefully with charged units and no leaks.

Has anyone else had this problem with this Genfrost or any other brand?
    Last edited by chilliwilly; 12-05-2013 at 02:42 AM.

Training may be finished but experience is never complete.

Re: Genfrost, anyone worked on them?

Could be a blockage, non condensibles or some such. If customer buys units i think they get the option of parts only warranty at reduced cost.They used to be on here?

alec
    Mostly found in the southern part of this green and pleasant land.

Re: Genfrost, anyone worked on them?

That was another thought, but still means a time consuming repair on an almost new freezer. Probably just Chinese rubbish. I had a similar problem with a brand called chill king now they were a bag of sh!te, most of them hadn't even been gassed up. Leading you to think they had leaks on new units.

But I Suppose that's what happens when you buy economy brands. But the choice is seems to be increasing.
    Training may be finished but experience is never complete.