Lightbulb Synthetic Refrigerant Additive

I came across this site while researching some new additives. I noticed there was a pretty old thread conversing about the issue, but it is so old!

http://www.refrigeration-engineer.co...-Oil-Additives

I have heard that the original sarcasm regarding additives has quieted down because these products are working.

I have a few clients that are very into energy efficiency and I found this product that counts toward my clients LEED points. Its called SRA or Synthetic Refrigerant Additive by a company called powerknot. (http://www.powerknot.com) They seem to very knowledgeable on this product and in HVAC techniques in general. They even have case studies and I have called a few of their clients just to verify their claims are real. Apparently they are! (This is of course from the other HVAC techs that actually shared with me, you know how secretive we are with our own techniques and products!)

So overall I have already decided to purchase this and try it on two of my clients. I am still curious about your guys opinions though. What do you use? Have you started using additives too? Are you still stuck in the old fashion way of nothing but what the original unit came with?

I'll give you full report once we have had it in the system for a few months!

Re: Synthetic Refrigerant Additive

it does but at a cost of life span, there is no magic fluid you can dump in and make things work better and last longer, the only thing that will do this is good system engineering.

Proper oil, proper gass, clean condencer and evap is all that is needed to save money, any oil additive will cost you in either equipment life or system stability, it will all ways, be this way period.

The only time an addive is warrented is in the case of a burn out, by using a prefrential binder you can capture the acid so it is better removed by a suction line filter dryer then be removed with new oil in the system.

funny how all the claims sound the same from the HHO car kit scams, to the magical oil additive scams.
    Last edited by The MG Pony; 19-04-2013 at 08:25 PM. Reason: added a thought

B**ls**t.
    If they can show a proven 5%, they would make billions.
    Every once in a while someone else comes out with that "snake oil".
    Usually you loose the compressor after a few months.

But..... its a free world, go on and have a go at it...

Brian_UK is offline Moderator I am starting to push the Mods: of RE Site Moderator : and general nice guy

I feel an advert coming on here......
    Brian - Newton Abbot, Devon, UK
    Retired March 2015

well frosty Bob.
    I post and we are supposed to be interested in your thoughts!

I have heard that the original sarcasm regarding additives has quieted down because these products are working.
    I have news for you.
    There is one thing here that most view as worse than "Snake Oil" and that is those peddling it!

I am with Brian, Chemi and MG.
    Heard it all before.

Who are you? What do you do?
    Why trust a complete stranger who does not even give some basic incite into who or what within our industry he does?

Grizzly
    Grizzly

Thats remind me of the Hysave pumps, a local distributor asked me to install those pumps in large supermarkets refrigeration systems, the idea was that the pump being installed after the receiver, increase the liquid pressure and decrease the head pressure, he was talking about 8% to 10% electric savings.
    he connected some electronics to the the local control system and after a month came with a sheet explaining the savings. With sweet talk and good sales expertise we all know you can even sell ice cubes to Eskimos or heatpumps in the Sahara.

The only result of that operation was an increase of 8% to 10% in my bank account....

I don’t know who you are frostybob76, but I thank you for your somewhat guarded commendation of our SRA product. I am the president of Power Knot and I agree with many of the commentators that there are many snake oils and other “solutions” that falsely claim to improve the efficiency of an air conditioning system.

You can often identify those companies promoting bogus products by their web site, if they have one. A company that doesn’t say where they are located or doesn’t list a phone number (other than a toll free one) probably doesn’t have an office. That means they don’t have a place where staff perform engineering, sales, and support.

Our office is in the heart of Silicon Valley, California and you are welcome to come and visit us.

It is easy for a skeptic to dismiss a new idea without justification: “The sun revolves around the earth because it’s always been that way.” I agree that many sellers of bogus products may have bad testimonials. If people say “2+2=4, therefore my product works” then be wary. We don’t deny that 2+2=4, but why does that mean your product works? The irrational logic used by some people to conclude their product works is absurd. A homeowner proclaims his electricity bill has gone down by 10%. So what? It was colder that month or you did less cooking than the month before.

On the contrary, we have solid case studies published on our web site. By completing a simple form, you can read the details of the methodology and results. Most of our reports run about a dozen pages. We even have a detailed article on how to conduct a proof of performance which we can send to you if you request it. Our SRA product always works when properly applied and we guarantee an improvement of 10% in the efficiency of the system to which it is applied. There is no mechanism whereby our product will cause failure of the system. On the contrary, a system will have less stress and last longer after the application of SRA.

A skeptic can dismiss the findings without considering the facts. Oil fouling exists and the benefits of eliminating it are well understood. We didn’t coin the term; ASHRAE did and have published scores of papers on it. Sure there is no substitute for good engineering, and our product cannot improve on that. But if you install a compressor that uses oil, then in the majority of cases the system will have oil fouling over time. Our product eliminates that and restores the efficiency of the system. It does little to improve a new system and certainly won’t compensate for a poorly designed system.

We have been doing this since 2009, have hundreds of satisfied customers globally, and no system has failed due to the application of our SRA. But there will always be skeptics who dismiss the idea outright!

Brian_UK is offline Moderator I am starting to push the Mods: of RE Site Moderator : and general nice guy

Quote Originally Posted by Brian_UK View Post
    I feel an advert coming on here......
    ^^^ There, I knew it wouldn't be long.
    Brian - Newton Abbot, Devon, UK
    Retired March 2015

I think ill pass on this product. I dont need any Magic Beans either.

When the manufacturers honour their warranty whilst using your product Iain.
    Then I may look at it's merit.
    In the meantime good luck, and that's me being kind!

Because there is no-place for your product on this forum.
    It has the title Engineer and nowhere does it mention Salesman.

We all help each other where we can, but we don't use sales pitches.
    This is not an invitation to discuss your product.
    I am just politely trying to explain that I and many others
    Are not interested in Any form of sales.

Particularly one that has no merit to me at this stage of my life!
    Grizzly