Threaded View

Solar cooling plants and design.

Solar cooling is an attractive idea because cooling loads and availability of solar radiation are approximately in phase. As the refrigeration system operates – small pump work neglected - without the need for mechanical or electrical power, it is independent of electrical grids and thus may prevent in remote rural regions the spoiling of agricultural products in storage due to the lack of refrigeration.

That is why there is a high demand for application of solar cooling for decentralised cold storage of food in the countries of the sun belt of the earth.
    Solar cooling uses solar thermal energy to power a refrigerator, which in order to preserve food has to maintain temperatures lower than 5 °C in the storage room.

Heat operated cooling systems are well known.
    Ammonia-water absorption refrigeration systems are normally preferred for low temperature applications.
    The heat input for this systems is required at temperatures higher than 90 °C. Therefore high performance solar collectors are needed to supply a sufficient solar energy input.
    This report presents two designed solutions using ammonia as refrigerant. The first refers to a 20 kW ammonia-water absorption system combined with evacuated tube collectors, which has been designed and preliminary successfully tested. Starting from this pilot plant, a cold storage depot has been designed to store fruit and vegetables at 4 °C, powered by solar energy only. Refrigeration load is 60 kW.

This is a peace from a article I came upon searching for the know how of designing a solar absorption refrigeration plant.
    I hope this will bring apon the right people to help me design such a plant.
    Thanks
    LodieV
    Last edited by Brian_UK; 20-04-2013 at 10:43 PM. Reason: Tidied layout
    THE BEST WAY OF LEARNING IS TO DO IT YOURSELF!!!