Fact or fiction?

Service call to a private residence that was affected by a nearby lightning strike. All of the items connected to electrical circuits were destroyed except for two. These 2 items had 5 knots in their electrical leads. Oh! Really?
    They have no nearby neighbours so there were no other homes affected. Why were there 5 knots in each lead? They had heard about this method of arresting massive electrical surges somewhere and for the hell of it tied these knots then promptly forgot about it, until now.
    Any theories?

To the optimist, the glass is half full. To the pessimist, the glass is half empty.

Re: Fact or fiction?

ferrite core?
    1st theory - rubber matting for your tin roofs
    2nd theory - get a lightning conductor

Hi mikeref
    I would have to say fiction as I have not heard of the five knot theory and I'm right into Lightening.
    I have seen a guy get hit by lightening twice on youtube though so I gues it could be fact but unlikely.

Quote Originally Posted by Tesla View Post
    Hi mikeref
    I would have to say fiction as I have not heard of the five knot theory and I'm right into Lightening.
    I have seen a guy get hit by lightening twice on youtube though so I gues it could be fact but unlikely.
    The guy getting hit has been shown as bunk...

There has got be something with it, if knots protected what ever on end of lead. A tesla coil in reverse, with a not so good earthing impedience resistance sink peg on the rest of household distribution board. Being in Q/land what is the earthing impedience like, or do you have a network negitive linked/ground due to low earth resistances
    I have had similar problems with lightning strikes, mainly on transformers on top of a pole, that smokes everything downstream on low voltage side. Really does damage to trani as well.