Question Compressor Improvement PROJECT

Hello Everyone,
    Very glad to find this place.

I have joined the forums to find anything that could help with optimizing the compressor of a solar powered vaccine storage refrigeration/freezer system.

I have chosen the BD35F compressor which uses R134A (refrigerant), because it is used in a few of the World Health Organisation accredited refrigerators.

I am struggling to find what type of compressor it is to begin with, any ideas on that? I have found the data sheets but still do not know if it is a reciprocating compressor, something I really hope it is.

I am reading as much as possible on optimizing the piston inside the compressor, so this is why I hope it's actually got a piston. Where would be a good place to begin looking into improving it, the Coefficient Of Performance (COP)? So to improve that I would have to improve the refrigeration capacity, what would be one of the main ways of improving that or is there something more vital to improve that affects the COP?

Any ideas on that?

I also need to model this problem in a computer software, I just obtained Comsol Multiphysics so I will have a look at that. Any help on how I would actually improve the COP and then represent the improvement in computer modelling software? Or use the software to find the improvements before finding them on paperr?

What would the people that make the compressors (SECOP I think it is) do, when it comes to optimization?

Any help would be very appreciated particularly with the bold points.

Thanks even if you read half,
    James

Re: Compressor Improvement PROJECT

Hi James and welcome to the forum.

Unfortunately, reading your post I think there there is some way to go before you find a solution to your quest of enhancing the COP of a system.

Improving the piston? This is something the leading compressor manufacturers has spent milions of £/$ on over several decades. If they haven't got it optimised by now then it is likely that it will take an enormous R&D exercise to get there, more expensive than any compressor manufacturer on this planet are able to afford. Efficiency is after all one of their main selling points.

But improving the COP? Now that is possible but you have to look at it from a different angle. COP is a factor from how much energy you have to use to get a certain cooling duty. In this process the compressor plays a part and by selecting the right compressor we can optimise this part of the system BUT there are several other factors to look at.
    Is there a way to minimise the temperature difference between the hot and the cold side?
    Is there a way of minimise the temperature difference between the refrigerant and the medium it is heating or cooling?
    Is there a way of minimising heat gains?

Another couple of question that might be worth looking at.
    Is there a way to utilise the wasted heat?
    Why would a compressor be used? Would an absorption system be better?

Last edited by The Viking; 09-04-2013 at 02:05 PM.