charging window uints/cylinder freezing

hello everyone
    i need some advise or referencing on a few things.

1. i have client who is buying r-22 disposables from us (we are in the middle east so still work with disposables) and filling window units. they are just filling the units with vapor and after filling 3 units the cylinder freezes.
    these are standard units they are filling, they are not anything special which requires huge amounts of gas.
    should they be filling direct with vapor? or liquid? or liquid then vapor? and is there any documentation to support this?
    also should the cylinder be freezing up like this after only filling 3 window units?

2. is there any document showing how to fill a large unit say charging a unit with between 20-100kg ? what i am looking for is mainly something that says you should not charge a large unit by vapor and rather liquid as its quicker and easier? has anyone got any kind of reference doc?

any help on either one of my problems would be greatly appreciated.

thanks
    Phill

Re: charging window uints/cylinder freezing

it sounds like your client is unsure of what he's doing???

yep he definitely is and he is not trained either, but he wont believe us that he is doing something wrong until we show him hard evidence. so this is why if anyone could give me some references to show him or any type of online documentation it would be much appreciated.

Neither is "wrong" when it comes to charging R22, appart from the use of R22 itself...

If you know what you are doing it is perfectly OK to charge it in it's liquid phase but care has to be taken not to cause damage to the compressor.

If the preference is to charge it as vapour then it is quicker/easier if heat is applied to the cylinder and there are electrically heated cylinder jackets available for just this purpose.

(Personally? I would charge liquid)

Brian_UK is offline Moderator I am starting to push the Mods: of RE Site Moderator : and general nice guy

The fact that the cylinder is freezing after filling three units sounds like they are is a workshop or manufacturing facility. In normal usage the cylinder would warm up between fill operations.

All they can do is keep the cylinder warm, as the Viking states, use a tank heater or a bucket of hot water.

It really does sound like a dangerous operation that you are involved in and I hope that you are not charged with being legally negligible when they have an accident.
    Brian - Newton Abbot, Devon, UK
    Retired March 2015

Quote Originally Posted by Brian_UK View Post
    The fact that the cylinder is freezing after filling three units sounds like they are is a workshop or manufacturing facility. In normal usage the cylinder would warm up between fill operations.

All they can do is keep the cylinder warm, as the Viking states, use a tank heater or a bucket of hot water.

It really does sound like a dangerous operation that you are involved in and I hope that you are not charged with being legally negligible when they have an accident.
    thanks for the info. we arent dealing with any of the filling ourselves, we are just a distributor/importer of the products, but the problem we have out here in the middle east is there are no training courses, or legal requirements for technicians so most of the time the guys are guessing, and health and safety is no existent, even the simplest things like wearing safety specs are not enforced.

things are different at our plant as im bringing all the uk basics and putting them in place like basic health and safety and training, which is what im used to, but life is not valued as much over here as it is in the rest of the world unfortunately

There are quickchargers available from most suppliers which will allow the safe charging of liquid into the system,just a barrel type attachment that exspands the liquid as it goes in .Not as fast as straight liquid but alot faster than gas charging and would solve your freezing problem