Solar Heated Absorption Chillers

Hello, My name is james and I'm just about to start my thesis for an undergraduate degree in mechanical engineering.

I plan to use a parabolic trough solar collector to heat water and use this heat as the energy source for a refrigeration device. Ideally it would have no other energy input i.e. no pumps. My question is, can it be done, if so how.

I would love to be put in contact with someone knowledgeable in the industry that can answer all my questions. Please if anyone knows anyone i would be very much obliged.

Re: Solar Heated Absorption Chillers

Hi Jwilby and welcome to the forum
    We are not here to do your homework for you but we could guide you to find answers to some areas you are looking at.

Thank you for your warm welcome.

I would love to be guided. Where do we start?

An excellent reference on this subject is solar water heating systems resource book isbn 1 876880 011 5, I got mine from ATA in Ceres park who produce the renew magazine. It has an example of a lithium system and includes design software. So yes it can be done and has been done.
    Personally I think your choice of cell is poor as the glass tubes are better and being used commercially on many buildings here in Sydney. Good combination though with the absorption system. You could design a new concept - something new?

hookster is offline Veteran Poster I am starting to push the Mods: of RE

http://www.ammonia21.com/news/view/3808

Hi jwilby
    ammonia21 is good place to start.
    I love the smell of Ammonia in the morning!

thanks guys

I have looked into the book, i couldnt find any reference of it but you did put me in contact with ATA. I have found some more interest there namely from a guy also in sydney very dedicated to renewable energy. He is behind this: http://solarcooking.wikia.com/wiki/Solar_Steamer

thank you also for the ammonia 21 website, i will keep you updated with news.