Ammonia Legislation

Hi

My company is considering using Ammonia in a new site we intend to build. I have been asked to put together some information detailing what training the on-site engineers will need. BA training, how many must be trained, must there be 24 hour cover etc. I've had a look online but from what i can see there is no definitive legislation in the UK that covers Ammonia, i have found recommendations of best working practices etc.
    Can someone please give me a kick in the right direction

Regards

Re: Ammonia Legislation

Hi
    Start with the Building code legislation under hazardous substances, ventilation requirements and Health and Safety. usually depends on how much ammonia is stored in operating systems on site, to what degree of safety systems are required, alarms are required and Fire Service access etc., and the usual 100 pages of requirements. Best to employ a consulting engineer, to cover all the legal legistive and code compliance requirements.
    Start all this before digging the first hole and construction, will save alot of greif.
    Last edited by Magoo; 06-03-2013 at 03:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by HiltonMeatHead View Post
    Hi

My company is considering using Ammonia in a new site we intend to build. I have been asked to put together some information detailing what training the on-site engineers will need. BA training, how many must be trained, must there be 24 hour cover etc. I've had a look online but from what i can see there is no definitive legislation in the UK that covers Ammonia, i have found recommendations of best working practices etc.
    Can someone please give me a kick in the right direction

Regards
    Give Pete White from Polar Pumps a call.
    He does 2078 ammonia training both on your site and in his training centre
    and if anyone has details of requirements he does.

see

www.polarpumps.com

http://www.polarpumps.com/safe-handl...s-ammonia.html

Regards

Rob

Last edited by Rob White; 06-03-2013 at 09:36 AM.
    .. ... -. .----. - / -- --- .-. ... . / -.-. --- -.. . / --. --- --- -..

Hi
    I recommend that you get in touch with;
    http://www.ior.org.uk
    IOR, Kelvin House, 76 Mill Lane, Carshalton, Surrey SM5 2JR T: 02086477033 www.ior.org.uk

Ammonia Refrigeration Systems Code of Practice

This Code is for the use and guidance of everyone concerned with compression refrigerating systems utilising Refrigerant R-717 (ammonia). "Everyone" means every person with responsibility through ownership, consultancy, design, construction, installation, commissioning, operation, maintenance, inspection, repair, modification or testing of a system.

regards

Camille Zabbal

hookster is offline Veteran Poster I am starting to push the Mods: of RE

Hi Hilton
    Do not be afraid of the legislation as it is minimal really and is very dependent on company practice and as you say most reccomendation is to best practice.

With modern low charge ammonia systems you can have the benefits of the best natural refrigerant and plant longevity and energy efficiency.

From ammonia chillers to multiple compressor systems, ammonia is the best long term refrigerant and with upcomming GWP on other refrigerants and their high cost, ammonia is definately the way to go. It is easily detectable and being lighter than air easily purged.

Too many companies get terrified of ammonia when really there is no need on a well designed system. There is no requirement to train staff or to have 24 hr cover and maintenance should be outsourced to provide best utilisation of staff for other tasks.

Let us know your plant size and requirements. As Camille says IOR system code of practice is available.
    I love the smell of Ammonia in the morning!

Thank you for the replies, you all have been very helpful.