Air source heat pump is work, but no heating, no hot water

We have an emergency cover, they sent an engineer around today, but turned out he did not really know much about heat pumps. The insurance company told we would have to wait till Monday, they could not find anybody with a knowledge of the heat pumps today.

Our air source heat pump is Mitsubishi Ecodan. The outside unit is working, upstairs everything seems to work fine, too, but there is no hot water and radiators were getting slightly warm for some 10 minutes and then went cold. They do not get warm any more, though. what could be wrong? Does any body know if we could do some thing ourselves? I am quite desperate, because it is getting really cold.

Re: Air source heat pump is work, but no heating, no hot water

Just noticed the title says work, I meant working.

Thank you for the link, I called them and in short they would send an engineer around, but they could not tell wether we would be charged for it, it would depend on cause of problem obviously. We are relying on emergency cover just for financial reasons.

I managed to turn on a back up heater for hot water in a hope the heating stopped working because of lack of hot water. But water is still not getting hot, just slightly lukewarm.

So now I am wondering if that has connection with temperature controls or with heating element in the tank.

I've had a look at a Ecodan pipe schematic online, im not familiar with ecodan units. However it's layout is a similar design to what im used to working with. Are your radiators not reaching a high enough temperature? I would suggest you turn down the radiator valves in all non essential rooms. From full to half way, or off if possible. I would also turn off your water heating on the controller, and only have Central heating on...if that makes sense. To heat your water use the back up immersion heater that will be fitted to your water tank. If your water tank is not at temperature, the ecodan will try to heat the water first..over the house. So turning the water heating off on your controller will force it to only do central heating. Your emergency immersion heater will only heat the water not your radiators. If the unit is still not giving you a decent temperature on your radiators, and the outdoor unit is running.... then i would make a guess at gas issues/sensor fault.

I may be well wrong but thought i'd give it a bash, had this same problem on another make of Heat Pump.

Best of luck

Thanks for suggestion, I will try everything you wrote. The radiators are not reaching high enough temperature indeed and it feels like they are getting less and less worm and for shorter period of time. Regarding the water heating- we have it on "auto" on controller and it's set to work for one and a half hours at night time normally, I did turn it on during the day just to make sure it was
    not getting hot, but it's back on auto again. Do you think it is still "overpowering" the heating?

sorry, worm was meant to be warm.

If the hot water tank is not hot enough the Ecodan will try and heat that before it heats your house. Turn it to off. Like i say it sounds like the Ecodan is underperforming, have you had issues in the past?

http://www.mediafire.com/view/?0dz55a3avdzzpmh
    happy reading- check for fault codes first- maybe turn the heating off to see if the tank gets up to temp, its the only ecodan manual i can find as theyre like rocking horse s**t!!!

Thank you ever so much! I did all as you suggested and I have warm radiators now! House is still cold, I guess it will take some time for it to warm up, but at least I can see it is working. The immerse heater for hot water seemed not to work too first, but I suppose it took longer time to heat water up as it's been cold for a while. I have left it on to be sure heating continues to work.

We actually had issues before, it was more than two years ago. Mitsubishi recalled some models of heat pumps, ours was one of them. People came to turn the pump off, they came back next day, because they had forgotten to turn the immerse heater on for hot water. They were quite surprised that we still did have hot water. Turned out the immerse heater had been on for the whole time, probably left on by installers. But that is not the point. When the new heat pump was installed, they turned immerse heater off. Next day we did not have hot water. Our house was still under warranty (new build), so builders were dealing with it. We had a whole week people coming around trying to figure out where the problem was (electricians, plumbers), until a man with a good knowledge came. Turned out, the wiring in Flow Temp Controller box was wrong and had blown out. It was summer time, we did not use the heating and the hot water was heated by immerse heater, so we even didn't realise there was something wrong. That engineer dealt with the problem and until now everything was working fine.

Thank you once again, I am so happy! Being cold without knowing when it will stop can be quite depressing. My husband is at work all these days, so it is just me and kids trying to wrap up as much as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by install monkey View Post
    http://www.mediafire.com/view/?0dz55a3avdzzpmh
    happy reading- check for fault codes first- maybe turn the heating off to see if the tank gets up to temp, its the only ecodan manual i can find as theyre like rocking horse s**t!!!

Thanks for that, I was going through the manual, but the problem is, there is no panel which would show the errors with our heat pump. Apparently they decided not to put it on as people had been messing with them, that is what builders said.

Quote Originally Posted by Dinka View Post
    Thank you ever so much! I did all as you suggested and I have warm radiators now! House is still cold, I guess it will take some time for it to warm up, but at least I can see it is working. The immerse heater for hot water seemed not to work too first, but I suppose it took longer time to heat water up as it's been cold for a while. I have left it on to be sure heating continues to work.

We actually had issues before, it was more than two years ago. Mitsubishi recalled some models of heat pumps, ours was one of them. People came to turn the pump off, they came back next day, because they had forgotten to turn the immerse heater on for hot water. They were quite surprised that we still did have hot water. Turned out the immerse heater had been on for the whole time, probably left on by installers. But that is not the point. When the new heat pump was installed, they turned immerse heater off. Next day we did not have hot water. Our house was still under warranty (new build), so builders were dealing with it. We had a whole week people coming around trying to figure out where the problem was (electricians, plumbers), until a man with a good knowledge came. Turned out, the wiring in Flow Temp Controller box was wrong and had blown out. It was summer time, we did not use the heating and the hot water was heated by immerse heater, so we even didn't realise there was something wrong. That engineer dealt with the problem and until now everything was working fine.

Thank you once again, I am so happy! Being cold without knowing when it will stop can be quite depressing. My husband is at work all these days, so it is just me and kids trying to wrap up as much as possible.
    Excellent! I've had this issue on another make and im glad it's temporarily solved the problem. I'll bet money that there is a gas issue or a sensor fault. It will take some time to bring the property up to full temperature. But hopefully it will work for now....

Jason

Quote Originally Posted by jdunc2301 View Post
    Excellent! I've had this issue on another make and im glad it's temporarily solved the problem. I'll bet money that there is a gas issue or a sensor fault. It will take some time to bring the property up to full temperature. But hopefully it will work for now....

Jason
    The house is warm now, I really appreciate your advice.

I will update when problem will be solved!

Thank you!

Dina

Quote Originally Posted by apexair View Post
    Domestically, water is traditionally heated in vessels known as water heaters, kettles, cauldrons, pots, or coppers. These metal vessels that heat a batch of water do not produce a continual supply of heated water at a preset temperature. Rarely, hot water occurs naturally, usually from natural hot springs. The temperature varies based on the consumption rate, becoming cooler as flow increases.
    Did you bother to read the thread or just pading your post count? Seems disrespectfull to my eyes to make a rather useles statment with no relivence to a other wise don thread.

Quote Originally Posted by The MG Pony View Post
    Did you bother to read the thread or just pading your post count? Seems disrespectfull to my eyes to make a rather useles statment with no relivence to a other wise don thread.
    exactly what I thought.....what a numpty

Hi, late update, but might be helpful for somebody like me in future.

It turned out, that problem was in clogged up pipes. This was discovered by fifth engineer trying to find a fault and only on his second visit. He went checking through everything, as the last attempt he checked the pipes and bingo. He said, he would have not expected clogged pipes to be a problem though, due to system being relatively new- three years.

Many thanks to all, who put an effort to reply my post.