Refrigeration System cleanout

Was wondering if anyone uses methalated spirits to flush out systems/gas bottles etc.....I have heard you can use this but would like to get other opinions...or other products to flush out systems

Re: Refrigeration System cleanout

It's usually used to clean refrigeration systems after e.g a compressor burnout R-141B , and installed HH filters to remove the acids from the system.

Quote Originally Posted by RBM View Post
    Was wondering if anyone uses methalated spirits to flush out systems/gas bottles etc.....I have heard you can use this but would like to get other opinions...or other products to flush out systems
    I have used R30, Dichloromethane, but keep it out of motors or anything with rubber seals, o-rings, lacquer ie: motor windings, some plastics, or any painted surface as it will destroy all these things.

Good for metal only parts like condensers, evaporators, pipe work ect. It will clean out carbonized deposits, burned oils and any sludge or dirt.

And don't just chuck it out after use. You can reuse it by boiling the dirty stuff and condensing the vapor that will leave the residue behind and give you fresh clean Dichlormethane to reuse.

I know a technician who uses metho on old bottles to clean them out with extra evacuation after but I could not recommend using it on any refrigeration system including bottles. The suppliers have good cleaners and advice on how to. It is all chargeable to the customer at the end of the day.

I use Isopropyle alcohol to clean smaller systems, never had an issue, just let the vacuum pump warm up good or a cold trap and you will have a nice clean system. Take the waste alcohol and filter it and distill it and it is re-usable, Methanol is to aggressive even to metals! But as others state unless it is a small system of low value just use the proper stuff, I've heard good things about the Rx-11 flush compound.