Tecumseh AEA4440AXA HI TORQUE COMPRESSOR

OK so most of my 30 year experience with HVAC has been in large commercial AC units so this little Tecumseh AEA4440AXA R-12 under counter hi temp refer box has got me stumped. Unit pulls down, satisfies & shuts down fine. Off cycle duration is about 12 - 20 minutes. When stat calls for cooling compressor won’t start (cuts out on klixon protection) until the HI - LO press differential is less than 22 psi. Compressor is new & all windings ohm out good, changed overload, start relay & capacitor with no change. By the time compressor is able to start the box temp is too warm. My question is this: With these small high torque compressors, what is the typical HI - LO pressure differential compressor can overcome @ start? Thanks Guys!!

Jim.

Re: Tecumseh AEA4440AXA HI TORQUE COMPRESSOR

normally a 2 deg differential and a 3 min start delay is all that's needed, usually a capillary system will equalize within around a minute of stopping, check drier isn't choked or is moisture affecting it?- probably why the last comp failed

Quote Originally Posted by install monkey View Post
    normally a 2 deg differential and a 3 min start delay is all that's needed, usually a capillary system will equalize within around a minute of stopping, check drier isn't choked or is moisture affecting it?- probably why the last comp failed
    Was just wondering what pressure differential these hi torque compressors should be able to overcome. I would think that a HIGH TORQUE compressor should be able to start well above a 22 psi differential. Thanks.

Jim.

im assuming the electrics were replaced when the compressor was changed, is the klixon internal in the windings or external- what worries me is the 12-20min off cycle and the pressures haven't equalised just checked B/M: AE234AL-725-J7; BtuH Capacity @ 20°F Evap.: 2,330; BtuH Capacity @ 45°F Evap.: 4,100; CCH: No; Discharge Conn.: 1/4" IDS; HP: 1/3; Mfg. #: AEA4440AXA; Mounting Centers: 4" x 6-1/2"; Overload: B17-908; Relay: B17-880; Start Capacitor: G22-654; Starting Torque: High; Suction Conn.: 5/16" IDS; Volts: 115; check the electrics are correct

Would think it would be able to stop and start straight away if its high starting torque.

Have a word with your wholesalers tech dept, or even Tecumseh if you can.
    Mostly found in Oxfordshire, UK :)