Failed Reversing Valves Acquisition

Hello Everyone,

I am involved in a study on reversing valves. Part of the study is to understand what happens to these valves over time. I was wondering how I would be able to get a couple of failed/broken valves that have been in operation for a number of years; (size does not matter). What I need to get is one of the common shaped valves that looks like a copper tube with one compressor outlet tube on top and the three remaining tubes in a line along the bottom. I also need one of the other shaped valves that are stocky with all the inputs and outputs radially spaced around the body. I need to cut these two valves open and try to understand the state of the seals within the valves.
    I have tried a number of local companies that service refrigeration equipment but have been unsuccessful. I live in Toronto, Ontario, Canada.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Pasquale

Re: Failed Reversing Valves Acquisition

When these valves are installed, we wrap them in wet rags to limit the amount of heat during brazing operations.

In our case, and I'm sure it happens elsewhere, when these valves need to be replaced, we do not apply the same wet rag treatment, so excess heat must damage the internal parts/ seals. A lot of heat has to be applied, especially to the larger models, to melt the braze material.

Would a failed reversing valve be of any use to your study after undergoing such a high heat input?

The best suggestion I can give to you would be to write to your local A/C companies and request that they save any recovered failed valves for you.

We could send you some of ours if you pay the postage/carriage and also some compensation, as we would have to take them out of the scrap weigh-in bin
    Last edited by frank; 20-01-2013 at 10:50 AM.

ive got piccys of a failed 4 way valve on a mitsi unit- small capillary lines rubbed through, also got piccys of how I replaced it in a bucket of water

Quote Originally Posted by Pasquale View Post
    (size does not matter).

Thanks,
    Pasquale
    Well I'm not so sure about that

maybe we have a few female members who could confirm that for us

R's chillerman
    If the World did not Suck, We would all fall off !

Hi,

thanks for the offer. I may take you up on this.....I think I will first try a little harder within Canada not to have to deal with parts and the border.....I've had issues in the past that are not pleasant.

Pasquale

Quote Originally Posted by frank View Post
    When these valves are installed, we wrap them in wet rags to limit the amount of heat during brazing operations.

In our case, and I'm sure it happens elsewhere, when these valves need to be replaced, we do not apply the same wet rag treatment, so excess heat must damage the internal parts/ seals. A lot of heat has to be applied, especially to the larger models, to melt the braze material.

Would a failed reversing valve be of any use to your study after undergoing such a high heat input?

The best suggestion I can give to you would be to write to your local A/C companies and request that they save any recovered failed valves for you.

We could send you some of ours if you pay the postage/carriage and also some compensation, as we would have to take them out of the scrap weigh-in bin