Zanussi ZENB Flashing pilot light

Hello
    The pilot light on the above fridge/freezer started flashing a few days ago. I have never noticed anything other than a steady light before.

The first time it happened, I turned the mains off for a few seconds then back on and the light turned steady. I don't know how long it was steady but it's started flashing again.

The temp seems fine, all the frozen stuff is frozen and the fridge, if anything, seems too cold. I've just set the control to a higher temp and the light is steady again.

The drain hole at the back of the fridge seems clear, certainly there's no pool of water to suggest a blockage.

There's no build up of snow or ice anywhere.

The manual doesn't mention any flashing light at all so is no good.

As the food is cold it doesn't appear to be serious, but that might change any day!

Where do I start?

Thanks in advance.

Re: Zanussi ZENB Flashing pilot light

full model number would be helpful
    check out my website www.airkooldomestics.co.uk

hi, yes it would! I did type it in but the num lock key was off and I didn't notice the lack of numbers.

Its a ZENB2925 SI

hi ... i have exactly the same model as you with the same problem , cannot find any helpful info on web , was wondering if you managed to diagnose or resolve problem ... any info would be greatly appreciated!

prob a faulty neon- ive got a cooker switch with a flickering neon,cooker still works

Quote Originally Posted by install monkey View Post
    prob a faulty neon- ive got a cooker switch with a flickering neon,cooker still works
    hope its something as simple as that but i havn't heard fridgfreezer go into defrost mode since light started flashing

cant find a service manual but according to the user instructions the defrost timer is near the compressor at the back

theres a black box attached to compressor ,took cover off but the inside look nothing like the ones shown on youtube, theres also a black box seperate with 3 cables going into it about size of cigarette paket but slimmer ,cant get top off this and dont want to break it .... was going to try turning timer manually as shown on youtube but not sure whats what?

cant find any info on zanussi- I know penn do a defrost timer that has a dial that can be manually advanced to initiate a defrost,the size of a fag packet, if theres a dial on it turn it, is it ticking like a clock?

cant see a visiblie dial to turn .... going to see if i can prise cover off box tomorrow,going to have a beer now, thanks for help anyway!!!

I'm the OP

The led is definitely flashing at a regular frequency it is not flickering.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what might be the cause and some logical troubleshooting steps?

The other poster mentioned defrost mode, how can you tell if it is in defrost mode?

mine is flashing same as yours and since this started the fan has been running constantly,defrost mode is when the fan goes off fridgefreezer goes silent the sometimes it pops or cracks when defrost heater comes on,looked on youtube for info on this but the defrost timers shown on there look nothing like the one on this model,i'm starting to think the timer is in the control panel ... the wife is starting to talk about getting a new fridgefreezer . i expected more life from a zanussi to be honest ... unit is only around 6 years old :-(

I hear various noises that I can't distinguish.

Has anyone got any logical trouble shooting steps because whatever the flashing light means there is probably more than one cause and I don't want to start messing with things randomly.

As the light has stopped flashing when I turn the temp down, possibly the light means that the internal temp was too high (for the setting). Both fridge and freezer are plenty cold so it is obviously cooling.

Had one today same fault ended up to be control assy
    check out my website www.airkooldomestics.co.uk

yes, ok thanks, but how can I determine what the fault is, ie is there any logical troubleshooting advice out there so I can be confident I'm not wasting time and money buying parts that won't fix the fault?

From the sound of it, when you say 'ended up to be' it sound like the control assy, whatever that is, was one of the faults/parts it could have been.

The other poster was looking at the defrost timer, you say in this instance it was the control assy... how many other possibilities are there?