Hybrid View

Retrofit flooded evaporator

Hello everyone I hope someone can help me,
    I do a retrofit in a system that includes a flooded evaporator with refrigerant r 22.la evaporation temperature of 2 ° C and the condensation water of 45 ° C. My thought is to use R507. if anyone has had experience with this type of retrofit, or advise would be very grato.Ciao and thanks

Re: Retrofit flooded evaporator

I haven't done such retrofit but from R502 to R507 on a freezing unit,and learnt a few things, First and most important is cleaning the remains of the mineral oil, you need to clean each part individually, don't save on cleaning agents as if you do, it will cost you twice as much to do it later. replace TXV, driers and check SV for leaks after you run the system with the new refrigerant, R507 have higher condensing pressure so set the head presure control as needed. After a week of working, replace synthetic oil in the compressor sump, if it will be blackish, repeat changing it after another week till the oil is clear as it should be.

You can use all old refrigerants such as R502,12,22 to clean the mineral oil.
    Good luck.

R22 to R404A would be a better match, oil changes etc,. and flushing. Safety relief and vessel design criteria checks as well, as system operating ressures are higher on discharge side.

Hi Mark,
    Looking at your temperatures are you retrofitting an air-conditioning Chiller?

Hi Airmate,
    n
    Not, chiller cools the oil for food manufacturing processes cakes and biscuits.

404A would be suitable with standard retrofit

Ciao!

Switching to R404A or R507 is more or less the same. You need indeed to get rid of the remaining mineral oil, but, why wasting cleaning agents when you can use R22 to remove all MO from the plant?
    In Italy, some hypermarkets have been retrofitted this way, achieving energy savings thanks to the internal cleaning of the circuits,COP and cooling capacity increase, etc. If you measure the performance of the system before and after the retrofit, you can record these savings for your customer.

Regards,

Nando.

R-507 is a better choice than R-404A due to the lower Glide with R-507.( Flooded Evap) Also a Oil Rectifier will help remove oil from the Evap. I look foward to seeing how your retrofit works out as I have to do the same thing to 2 Ice Arena's with dual Pumper Drums.

I did not think that there was a suitable replacement for flooded systems on R22 due to the temperature glide on the 4 and 5 series refrigerants? Or have I been living under a rock? My understanding is that due to the glide the composition of the refrigerant will change during the boiling process.