Thread: Beat this....

Beat this....

Among this mornings post I have received two liquidators letters.Not one but two.

Looks like I will have to keep my old work boots for another year..

Is it worth it??

Eggs

Brian_UK is offline Moderator I am starting to push the Mods: of RE Site Moderator : and general nice guy

Re: Beat this....

Hard luck Eggs, they always seem to crawl out of the woodwork at this time of year don't they?

"Is it worth it?", I think so overall as long as your job satisfaction does not rely solely on cash in the bank.
    Last edited by Brian_UK; 24-12-2012 at 06:59 PM. Reason: missed a word 'not'
    Brian - Newton Abbot, Devon, UK
    Retired March 2015

Did they take you for a lot?
    It always hurt, especially this time of the year but I do hope you will survive without too much bruising.

I had two in a week. one 10k, one 13k recently so I know how you feel...

Got a couple that could be going this way too, really wondering if its worth the bother, but don't think i could go back to being an employee again. Interesting times....
    Mostly found in Oxfordshire, UK :)

this is a bitch when this happens do not have to many but they all hurt and its the ones that you try to help out useually hurt the most i still believe the legal side is all wrong, in my mind there is one answer go to jail who you done wrong to go and work for them for what you owe but maybe im a little right wing. you bounce a cheque? jail pay up or work for who you bounced it on. you go squit square your debts or jail dont owe thousands then set up the next day with a s on your name. we have a local small shop chain we used to do work for took ages to get maoney they had gone squit 2 times since 2009 anyway got debt cleared and walked away .... and you got it went bust again in november but still tradeing just a different director but the people at the top is the same how can this be legal then they had the nerve to ask me to work for them again sayeing we always had a good working relationship charlie? i wonder why they dont go back to there previous firms who done there fridge work? could it be due to the fact they owe um thousands?

Should be able to claim bad debts from the tax man, then they can tax them till they repay it!
    Mostly found in Oxfordshire, UK :)

we inform tax and vat of all unpaid debt you will be surprised how many companies still try to claim before they go bang.... they have powers we dont.... then we write it of against tax we have only ever received three amounts of money after debt firms get in there one of a decent inlaw that settled there debts and ten percent of one debt firm of the total amount and one int the trade... in the last twelve months we take a fifty percent deposit on installs or dont do the job we have had two that could not raise the deposit so whats the chance od receiving the final amount if they have paid half of bill you are pretty sound and most of costs are covered...... on breakdowns its a little different as bills can soon get there very quickly so you keep a eye on it ant company thats runing repeatily late we dropand cod only i no we have lost a few customers to this policy but those that leave i have found are bad payers or on the brink and the office time chaseing bills does not warrant the cost we have slashed our debt sheet and very few gone belly and not a lot of money they owed but it still hurts buy good access to a condensor is always usefull in our trade the only done side is you do tighten up on the good customers but thats whats the account dept do. have a good days guys just of to look at a k40 be lucky ta charlie

Quote Originally Posted by charlie patt View Post
    we inform tax and vat of all unpaid debt you will be surprised how many companies still try to claim before they go bang.... they have powers we dont.... then we write it of against tax we have only ever received three amounts of money after debt firms get in there one of a decent inlaw that settled there debts and ten percent of one debt firm of the total amount and one int the trade... in the last twelve months we take a fifty percent deposit on installs or dont do the job we have had two that could not raise the deposit so whats the chance od receiving the final amount if they have paid half of bill you are pretty sound and most of costs are covered...... on breakdowns its a little different as bills can soon get there very quickly so you keep a eye on it ant company thats runing repeatily late we dropand cod only i no we have lost a few customers to this policy but those that leave i have found are bad payers or on the brink and the office time chaseing bills does not warrant the cost we have slashed our debt sheet and very few gone belly and not a lot of money they owed but it still hurts buy good access to a condensor is always usefull in our trade the only done side is you do tighten up on the good customers but thats whats the account dept do. have a good days guys just of to look at a k40 be lucky ta charlie
    That's the key, asking for a 50% up front payment. As far as I am concerned if they don't want to do that they are either trying to take the p or don't have the money. They shouldn't feel offended when you ask, after all they are going to have to pay at the end anyway.

What got me was chasing a guy who had me do a job for accident damage when he was going to get the money back from an agency who supplied a driver who ripped the condensing section off driving under a low bridge.

6 months after the job, I call him. He apologised and said the agency had gone back on it's word and he was taking them to court, as soon as he gets the money he will pay me! How is that my problem? He was most apologetic and did understand etc.

I got the money eventually, but next time he calls I will do my best to fleece him and insist on payment immediately.

Hi Guys,
    just to throw my tenpenneth worth in i got took in the uk as some of you know, it defo makes you wiser to who you deal with, but i think you are forced sometimes to do work for people you'd rather not, luckily i met and had a great working relationship with a company on here and we had some challenging and some easy projects but they were finished and i got paid, Then i moved to Australia where i set up on my own, i sub to a company here and work for them every day. i send my invoice in on Friday and the money goes in to my bank on Monday. also i have worked for other companys and they pretty much pay you straight away, which makes it easier for everyone. until the government steps in and makes people pay on 30 days and not withhold money, then people will take the piss. Anyway i'm off down the beach now to fly my sons kite with him. Happy days.
    Kev