Zanussi Freezer over freezing

Hi all,

I have a Zanussi ZI9454X Fridge/freezer, Prod No. 925781803. It was purchased second hand around a year ago and has worked fine until a few weeks back.

I noticed that the freezer compartment digital temperature display started rising eventually settling at +8C, I purchased a hang on the shelf thermometer which currently shows below -30C.

The compressor is constantly running and I am guessing there is a thermostat, thermosor or a digital thermometer sensor that has packed up, sensing the wrong temperature and leaving the freezer thinking it constantly needs to freeze. There are two compressors, one running warm and the other which triggers with the freezer being turned on which gets hot.

If it was just contantly running and the temperature display read correct I would go ahead and purchase a new thermostat, however I am unsure as the display is showing +8C I am wondering if it is a sensor of some description that may be at fault.

Any suggestions before I start spending money would be great, I am by no means a fridge/freezer repair guy (limited knowledge on parts and terminology) but I am fairly practically minded and am hoping I can carry out a diy repair with a bit of friendly advice.

Thanks in advance, W

Re: Zanussi Freezer over freezing

First of all you need to get a decent thermometer to read the correct temperature in the freezer to determine if there is in fact a problem.

"Hang in the fridge" thermometers are not good enough for trouble shooting.

If you can get a glass thermometer that goes down to -30C that will give you a good indication of the true temp.