Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Lg Air con

Re: Lg Air con

Hi Guy's

can any one help me with this problem.. I went to a LG ltd3681rj 10kw cassette system and found the condenser fan not working and the compressor not running but the compressor case was red hot. I was there for over 1 hour doing checks, the comp did not restart, not sure if it is the fan pcb faulty or the compressor, any help would be great

thanks

Brian_UK is offline Moderator I am starting to push the Mods: of RE Site Moderator : and general nice guy

It's a bit tricky to answer that one...

What sort of checks did you perform without the compressor running?

Initial thoughts are a gas leak or, as you say, a faulty condenser fan.

We need more information.
    Brian - Newton Abbot, Devon, UK
    Retired March 2015

I'd be checking the comp windings for open circuit, cooling the compressor down with wet rags until it stopped showing open circuit if it was. Checking supply voltages, contactors/relays, soft starters if fitted, and capacitors.
    Reseting the power just to see the compressor run successfully. You need to see if the problem is the compressor, the supply, the condenser fan, or something else.

thanks for the reply, I checked the windings with my multi meter, power to the compressor,they were ok, put my guages on, Dirty oil and a slight burnt smell, that why i suspected the compressor,the comp has an internal klixon cut out the case was very very hot, a wet rag would not i feel bring the temp down, Suction pressure was off the scale's, this is an old unit 4/5 years old running on R407..gonna change fan pcb first, anyone got tel no of supplyers of lg PCB's

Quote Originally Posted by dibbo View Post
    the case was very very hot, a wet rag would not i feel bring the temp down,
    ?????? Great statement!!!!!

Thumbs down Re: Lg Air con

Quote Originally Posted by frank View Post
    ?????? Great statement!!!!!
    Hi Frank

this statment about the wet rag was made to me by a 20 year old veteran ac guy. it is not the sought of thing i would do myself, electrical saftey etc etc.

the same guy told me he has throne a bucket of water at the condenser to remove dust etc.

As for your comments (great statement) i find it insulting and a very poor and flipent comment to make when a member is looking for some help. I am a fully qualified AC / Refrigeration enginer Been through a full aprentiship ( not a 7 day course like some )

DIBBO

were abouts in ni chris?

Does anybody know what a CH32 fault code is on a LG Multi-split MC07AHM (AMNH076D2M0) is? Went to a site today from a couple who have bought a new house with the aboved mentioned unit installed (thereīs actually 5 installed). They only just moved in the 2 units upstairs (one multi system) had no gas in and two downstairs (the other multi) shows CH32 on both indoors. Donīt know who installed them, but they didnīt leave any manuals just the controllers. Iīm going back there in the morning to find the leak on the upstairs units, but it would be nice to repair the the downstairs too, while iīm there.

EDIT: already tried mylg.co.uk

cheers
    paul..

All this aside if you take a look at the viewings of this thread (17,300 and sumat) tells you, 'there is a problem Houston!'
    He who dies with the most Toys, WINS!

Doesnīt matter, iīve found it - CH32 Inverter Compressor Discharge Temperature Too High.

Quote Originally Posted by airefresco View Post
    Doesnīt matter, iīve found it - CH32 Inverter Compressor Discharge Temperature Too High.
    That's another one with a gas leak then! Happy hunting.

Eggs

Yeah, looks that way. To be honest itīs not a brilliant install. Apparently it was only put in 6 months ago, but the outdoors look like they are 5 or 6 years old, the grilles on the fans are completely rusted and thereīs several other spots of rust on the feet and outdoor casing. Is this normal for LG units? All the pipework was put in when they were building the house, so I donīt hold out much hope of gaining easy access to it. Iīm praying the leak(s) are on the outdoor flares, but we all know theyīre not going to be.

Blog Entries

Yeah, looks that way. To be honest itīs not a brilliant install. Apparently it was only put in 6 months ago, but the outdoors look like they are 5 or 6 years old, the grilles on the fans are completely rusted and thereīs several other spots of rust on the feet and outdoor casing. Is this normal for LG units? All the pipework was put in when they were building the house, so I donīt hold out much hope of gaining easy access to it. Iīm praying the leak(s) are on the outdoor flares, but we all know theyīre not going to be.
    From my experience in cases like this, I would check flared pipe surface for scratches. If found on more than one flared surface, you have to cut all flared pipe ends and make new, proper one, because person who did flaring have bad tool or flaring practice. Than make pressure (leak) test with nitrogen for 24 hours.

I have known a hair line crack on the flare. The leak was so small and would take a couple of weeks to loose enough of the charge to effect the duty. The cracked flare could not be seen with the naked eye or detected with leak detector.

Needless to say this was only found after a number of call backs.

Not on a LG unit and was some number of year ago.

MRTENNENTS Guest

Cuppa? Hell you can imagine the factory workers at lg with their feet up proclaiming "lifes good!"

MRTENNENTS Guest

Aye....ch32 is channel 32......coz the confused unit thinks its a telly!

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Harvey View Post
    I have known a hair line crack on the flare. The leak was so small and would take a couple of weeks to loose enough of the charge to effect the duty. The cracked flare could not be seen with the naked eye or detected with leak detector.

Needless to say this was only found after a number of call backs.

Not on a LG unit and was some number of year ago.
    I've seen a couple of cracked flares, normally they are obvious and get bigger cracks when you tighten them. Interesting to hear of one that exists but never gets visible.
    But it's not likely in this case with three units having low refrig charge, I'd oput my money on bad flares.
    edit:
    Quote Originally Posted by MRTENNENTS View Post
    Cuppa? Hell you can imagine the factory workers at lg with their feet up proclaiming "lifes good!"
    Quote Originally Posted by MRTENNENTS View Post
    Aye....ch32 is channel 32......coz the confused unit thinks its a telly!
    WTH?
    Last edited by paul_h; 11-09-2008 at 06:49 PM.

Well you were all kinda right. The first unit had a bad 1/4 flare on the indoor. The edge was a little cracked, only a really small crack but the leak detector found it. The other one was the 3/8 flare wasnīt tight enough. While I was there I also found that there is no earth to the outdoor units. I kept getting a belt off the bracket. Only a little bit, but it was enough to make me check the connections.

briza83 Guest

---------------------

Mod's Comment:

This is an engineer's forum - not a bog wall. We've heard all that nonsense before.
    Last edited by Argus; 10-07-2009 at 05:42 PM.

How near are the units to the coast? You mention the casing, what about the electronics? It seems like measuring the thickness of paint ;-) and rust is a good measure of the quality of A/Cs nowadays LOL.

Everything is close to the coast here, itīs not that big of a place,

To be honest I donīt really remember this job too well, itīs been a while.

By the coast or not the units should not rust after six months. This indicates the metal were not de-greased before painting. You should take this up with LG as there is a 3 year warranty.

naan72 Guest

We used to put in 100k a years worth of LG splits and multi splits. We had loads of 'warrenty' issues! We even had lg's own engineers out to one job which didnt work if you wired the control as they instructed but did the 'incorrect' way we did. They walked away completley baffled.
    It worked out in the end that it cost us 5k in one year drivin round the country putting brand new kit right. After 2 years they agreed to pay us the money and we started installing Mitsi'.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Harvey View Post
    By the coast or not the units should not rust after six months. This indicates the metal were not de-greased before painting. You should take this up with LG as there is a 3 year warranty.
    I completely agree with you. Most of that cheapo chinese stuff you see around lasts a good couple of years before it starts to rust. In LGīs defence the climate out here is extreme. The older style Samsung units tend to last about 18 months - 2 years before they go rusty and thatīs about average for most makes I have seen. The only units I have seen out here that seem to last a reasonable long time without rusting is Daikin and Panasonic. Maybe they use a different type of paint or something?

I never did follow up on this, for two reasons.

A) I didnīt do the install, and never got paid from the builder for doing the repairs, so iīm not really that bothered.

B) They would only give (I imagine) a 2 year warranty here. And even then, itīs not worth the hassle most of the time to get stuff done under warranty. That applies for everything, not just air conditioning.

rayn Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Brian_UK View Post
    I thought the first reply to Chris would have been - "Oh no! not another LG question?!?!"
    dude i need 2 know how the f did u write upside down?????????

rayn Guest

another thing.... yup u guessed it an lg split.... packed its bags n split, this time not lgs fault.... i dont think, had a storm last night thing turned off wont turn back on can any1 help? any suggestions would b gr8ly appreciated.

rayn Guest

so really they called themselves that coz u should thank ur lucky goldstars it still works then they changed to if it still works lifes good???

Brian_UK is offline Moderator I am starting to push the Mods: of RE Site Moderator : and general nice guy

Quote Originally Posted by rayn View Post
    dude i need 2 know how the f did u write upside down?????????
    It's the wonder of Google....

http://www.sherv.net/flip.html
    Retired March 2015

I thought LG was supposed to be improving. Looks like the CH33 nightmare has returned. Their prices are not what they were. You can get better kit for similar pricing.
    Cheapest wall mounts on the market are not LG.
    Remember also that LG manufacture specifically for DOMESTIC use. Their commercial units are fraught with problems.
    I'm not sure if this still applies but their commerical units never used to heat until the return air temp was 14°C. Now wheres the point of that when you want the heating to come on before you get to work?

Lg art cool gallery lasted 10 days before the pot went , to my joy mannaged to blag a new condening unit from wholesaler.(result) Only to install and the old girl comes up with a fault, flashing lights whats all this i ask? take a look at LG support page it STATES INDOOR UNIT AIR ON THERMISTOR FAULT, SCROLL DOWN TO VIEW A MORE DETAILED DESCRIPTION OF THIS FAULT..........SCROLLS DOWN TO READ OUTDOOR THERMISTOR ERROR.........ABSOLUTE CLASSIC!!

Quote Originally Posted by Imp View Post
    I thought LG was supposed to be improving. Looks like the CH33 nightmare has returned. Their prices are not what they were. You can get better kit for similar pricing.
    Cheapest wall mounts on the market are not LG.
    Remember also that LG manufacture specifically for DOMESTIC use. Their commercial units are fraught with problems.
    I'm not sure if this still applies but their commerical units never used to heat until the return air temp was 14°C. Now wheres the point of that when you want the heating to come on before you get to work?
    Certainly still seems to be the same, we've had a number of complaints here that their heat pump systems weren't working with an ambient of <14degC!!

riojaonly Guest

Here we are mid 2011....any improvement in LG?

I'm an end user looking at an LG vrf (multi-v) for residence in South Florida. From an uneducated consumer's standpoint (me), LG has some of the slickest looking indoor units (art cool) and best pricing. But if they're still crap on the inside, I need to move on.

Anyone have anything good to say about LG?

Quote Originally Posted by riojaonly View Post

I'm an end user looking at an LG vrf (multi-v) for residence in South Florida. From an uneducated consumer's standpoint (me), LG has some of the slickest looking indoor units (art cool) and best pricing. But if they're still crap on the inside, I need to move on.

Have a look at this recent tead on the subject...
    http://www.refrigeration-engineer.co...-they-reliable
    Retired March 2015

This thread has been going for a long time and LG should have improved. They have been less aggressive in going for market share in the UK in the last few years and the equipment maybe applied better.

The Artcool units are for the domestic home user and sell on looks rather than pratical function. LG are relative new comers to the VRF market and I would ask for reference to customer with equipment installed locally if I was you.

Quote Originally Posted by riojaonly View Post

leave it alone still have probe faults/ thats my opinion have left alone for 3 years and did have a good wholesaler they convinced me to try another unit the new vr with 12 indoors all came packed up well so just before the install i took of inspection panel to view the quality of kit as i got feed up with call backs to my horror what a mess the quality of clamps and braize was poor, did not bother fitting it ordered a mhi the best bit was there was hardly any diff in money the only reason i tried again was the fact the wholesalers are very good and i told them to call me when they dropped lg

Well 'Charlie Patt' said it all. The Japaness manufactures still have the best quality, even MHI which is at the cheaper end of the market.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123