Hybrid View

Re: When it went bang it made me jump!

Have you ever heard of the saying that if somebody is useless at their job they are promoted out of the way!

When I was working in a large pet food factory as the resident engineer looking after the refrigeration
    equipment we had a supervisor who was a fitter by trade and although a nice bloke, he was not that good!

One day one of the other engineers was doing a cylinder liner replacement, so he had the heads off
    the compressor and was slowly rotating the crank by hand to ensure that each piston was moving freely.

Two mistakes were made that morning............

One was the lad doing the work did not lock off the compressor motor and the other mistake was, they let
    the supervisor into the engine room

"why are you rotating that by hand he states" and proceeded to press the start button................

Imagine the chaos........ The comp does one complete rotation and throws out every liner,
    it then attempts a second rotation and each unsupported piston falls over in the body of the comp
    on the third rotation it jams the pistons into corners and bends the con rods.

Before he even got his hand off the button the supervisor damaged thousands of ££££££'s worth
    of comp and another 3 or 4 days to rebuild......

Ps I was not involved in that one fortunately .

Rob

Last edited by Rob White; 16-11-2012 at 08:52 AM.