Thread: Banked hours

Banked hours

Hello there,

Does anyone have any experience with banked hours?. Kind of like being paid to sit around when it is quite, like in winter, and then working when it is busy, like in the summer, without any additional pay?

Some time ago, Linde Refrigeration in the UK introduced banked hours for their supermarket engineers. Linde Refrigeration are not about anymore but, I seem to remember banked hours not working.

A letter went out from Carter Synergy in the UK, suggesting that they may introduce the same scheme for their engineers because they are losing money.

Does this mean that you could sit at home on a Friday in the winter, get paid and then work long hours in the summer and not get paid, as they were banked from the winter?

I know one thing from the recent financial mess in the world, banks and bankers win and the people they claim to be supporting lose...

Any thoughts?

Re: Banked hours

Linde is still here mate known as Carrier refrigeration service now, also as a manufacturer as Carrier-Linde

Space did / do banked hours.
    Wasn't managed properly and didn't work, employees banked the hours, then never got paid or given time off for most of it.
    It's not for sitting around then working later.
    It's not getting paid for Overtime then supposedly being given the time off later when it's quiet and there's enough cover.

Other organisations can make it work outside of Fridge, it's a slight variation of flexitime, except you don't get to choose when to work.

Thanks James10 for the Linde info, I kind of got lost with the Linde / Westwood / WR... who knows what timings

And thanks Spencer for the clarification.

I am not sure banked hours sounds that good though, do people think the hourly rate and overtime when worked is simpler and fairer for all involved?

hookster is offline Veteran Poster I am starting to push the Mods: of RE

Banked Hours is a very good solution if companies need to retain their employees during quieter times and with higher cost cutting by clients.
    It is really an agreement between employees and company and needs to work for both parties. Rather than see appreciated employees laid off during down periods and recruiting drives during peak (summer, contract works etc) an agreement is reached to pay employees while on "Burden".

This system has been agreed in the motor industry and has ensured employment rates are maintained yet they remain competitive.

hourly rate and overtime is the best way to be paid for employees but rather than reject banked hours outright, your personal circumstances need to be examined ie. Do you like working with the company, Do they treat you fairly, Will redundancies affect me etc.
    I love the smell of Ammonia in the morning!

Another name for a fixed income salary per annum. Suits some people.

Carter Synergy are also trying to introduce 'Performance related pay' or a 'bonus scheme' for 1st time fix's, I don't see how this can benefit all service engineers as each job is different, some are co2 trained and some not, and some can't fix fridges which bring plenty recalls for the experienced to return and put right.
    Has anyone come across these kind of schemes before?

Banked hours = careful planning or unhappy engineers.
    Lets not beat around the bush mention money an engineers ears prick up i know mine do. On the other hand aswell i understand Hooksters Points aswell. But my personal opinion is its a good excuse for some companies to cut pay but i would expect it is definitely a solution for some.
    To be honest i didn't like banked hours the figures on there spread sheet never matched my diary me personally i know who's was right.
    I get paid for all hours worked now plus PRB will it last who knows.
    Are PRBs are the performance of everyone apart from attendance allowance that is individual.
    In this current climate you just have to go with the flow i think but if your unhappy move that's what i did.
    your only as good as your last job

Hi Smiler.
    What constitutes a first time fix?
    How long before it's deemed to be "Fixed".
    It strikes me that you will fragment your workforce and alienate individuals.
    Still a means of getting more for less.
    What incentive is left for engineers to help each other?
    If one completes a first time fix having gauged the opinion of another. Then He gets the bonus and not the other, who if he had withheld his advice may well fix the problem the first time he goes to site?

Madness driven by the need to screw someone. (Because that's the only area left to squeeze!)
    But then again that's my opinion of Supermarket work.
    Did someone not say Carters are struggling?
    Grizzly

Sounds like a good way of getting engineers to look elsewhere for employment.

There really is no need to worry, Linde are coming back in force all the major UK stores will have Linde equipment, serviced by Linde and that's a big boy that won't be bullied by Tescos or Sainsburys, watch this space

all of the major contracts that carters have are for supermarkets ,which as far as i know are fully comprehensive, so carters should have allowed allowed an amount for wages wether its in the summer or in the winter. Its my opinion that Carters have bought the work and if they are loosing money the blame lies firmly and squareley at the top and as such they should loose performance bonuses have to work 11 weekends across the summer o! and the most important bit take around a 15% pay cut

Quote Originally Posted by james10 View Post
    There really is no need to worry, Linde are coming back in force all the major UK stores will have Linde equipment, serviced by Linde and that's a big boy that won't be bullied by Tescos or Sainsburys, watch this space
    Ah!
    Muller thought that when they purchased Wisemans dairy.
    Tesco just took their business elsewhere the next Day!
    The tankers trundling into Europe tell the story and flood the market.
    Which then allows Tesco to purchase all they need at knockdown prices.

Or to put it another way, say no and they don't ask again.
    I would love for you to be correct James, but it is not going to happen.
    To many greedy firms thinking that they are better than the last.

Morals go out the window when it comes to price.
    Duh!
    There are those that screw more than others, so those that don't squeeze so much will keep their workforce.
    Grizzly