Thread: Hi all

Hi all

Did my ticket a year ago, currently a spark, but want to offer domestic and office air con solutions.

I have been very busy sparking, but now I have a system to top up with R-22. I was thinking should I weigh it all out, pressure test with ofn then triple vac, or just whack some more in and hope for the bast, to put it in perspective this is used as a heat pump in the winter, so I will be changing the whole lot out in may.

If I wieigh it out can I just store it in the recovery machine, or will I need to go buy a recovery cylinder, boy this top up is getting expensive!?

Opinions please boys and girls

Martin

Re: Hi all

without f gas ticket you cant touch it.
    degas system into a reclaim bottle,pressure test,repair leak/leaks replace drier,vac , recharge.
    currently a reclaim bottle has a refundable deposit of around 100 quid, a bottle of r22r is around 250 quid for 12kg plus leak spray at 7quid a can- yep can be costly

You will need a reciever cylinder if you plan on re using the removed refrigerant in the system. Unlike recovery cylinders reciever ones are cleaned between uses (but must be returned empty to the wholesalers)
    Mostly found in Oxfordshire, UK :)

Sorry I have everthing you mention
    F-Gas Ticket and regitration
    Reclaim Machine
    R22

I just wondered how much gas I could take into my reclaim machine without a reciever bottle?

A couple of grammes before it trips on hp !!! You need a cylinder.
    The unit is for transfer not storage.
    Unless its a complete reco/charging station.
    where they giving away F-gas tickets??
    Cheers
    Stu
    Tool's ? check ! Condom's ? check !
    If you can't fix it , f*ck it !!!

I earn't my ticket- it was a tough course - just 18mths ago.
    Anyway Why do you say that.
    I went to HRP and have a recovery cylinder now. So I
    attended site. Did and indirect leak check sheet on the unit.
    Recovered into the recovery cylinder.
    Pressure tested with ofn to sweep out the moisture, and triple vac it down.
    Waiting suitable periods between operations (went for lunch)
    Then wieghed in the new R22. Did another indirect leak test and went round with me sniffer, Which I am finding a bit erratic, but no great dramas.
    Unit is working a great deal better and the customer was pleased.
    So I am feeling ok and ready for some nice advice please on how I could improve and what more I should be aware of.
    Thank you for any input - I am fairly thick skinned

Oh and everyone should be able to ask one dumb question or really what is the point of haveing forum at all?

Quote Originally Posted by martinxxxxxx View Post
    Oh and everyone should be able to ask one dumb question or really what is the point of haveing forum at all?
    You can ask as many dumb questions as you need. Its just that sometimes people visit here having done a three day course thinking things are simple, and other people who have done five year apprenticships etc etc feel a bit under valued and frustrated at the direction our trade is going in.

You must have experienced similar as a sparky with people who have managed to wire a plug and think everything is just as easy no?
    Mostly found in Oxfordshire, UK :)

whats a plug???

This is true and it is annoying I admit.
    Every trade is going this way.
    But at least I am trying to do the right ways - and I know some apprentiuced a/c guys who don't
    So I think it is your attitude as well as your training that effects whether you are a good engineer.
    My silly question is because I thought we stored in the machine first then open the valve to the recovery bottle.
    But I did go get a bottle and not vent to atm as I know at least 3 co near me do.
    I paid 80 quid for the bottle. I came on here for advice and guidence and hope that I can get some occaionally.
    Thanks

Martin

Martin, don't forget to vac your bottle before use.
    To the optimist, the glass is half full. To the pessimist, the glass is half empty.

Wasn't having a go at you Martin
    I have absolutely no problem with people from other trades turning their hand to this one, but as pointed out by others some of the questions posted here by "F-Gas ticket holders" are unbelievable.
    I admire the fact you went to the hassle of getting a cylinder for recovery and some nitro to pressure test( as you couldn't do much without them) and presume you tested all joints while under the correct pressure for a 22 test( 20>25bar)system components depending.
    Keep doing the right things and the rest will come with experience.
    All the best
    Cheers
    Stu
    Last edited by stufus; 10-11-2012 at 12:52 AM. Reason: typo
    Tool's ? check ! Condom's ? check !
    If you can't fix it , f*ck it !!!

Thanks I totally get where you are coming from, I have a couple of mates who have been RE all their working lives and they are chalk and cheese. When I'm doing a system like this ( and I have only done a couple), I normally hire one of them in on mates rates and get them to talk me through the job as I do it. Well they have totally different attitudes to the job. Engineer A (lets say it is A for Angel) will want everything done, as if we are back in the college classroom, down to PPE the lot, where as Engineer B (lets say that is B for Behalzeebab) is like f the recovery cylinder - use it to clean out the fins.
    So on this job I ran A and he said no - don't top it up put in a new system, its totally illegal and a waste of time. You can guess what B said. But as far as I know it is not illegal to use reclaimed for maintenance, So rather than have an argument with A or hire B to come and sully me further I thought I'd come on here and get a bit of an all round advice.
    I am not looking to run before I can walk and I really want to do the jobs to the same standard as my electrical work, even if it is a bit of a loss in the beginning. I must be mad.
    When I am on site pondering what to do it is like that comic with A whispering in my right ear what to do and B in the other ear. I happen to think we all want to follow A's advice as much as we can.
    Thanks

Martin