oz chill refrigerants

Hello Guys
    Has anyone come across or used the OZ CHILL refrigerants. they are hydrocarbon. they make a multi a 134a and a 22 replacement. Most cases are a drop in with no oil change.
    1 kg of R 22a = 2.5 kgs of R22. A 9 kg bottle is equal to 23 kg approx of regular R22.
    wanted to get peoples thoughts and experiences with this gas. We are starting to see it in Melbourne. (it has been in europe for a while from what I have seen posted.)

Re: oz chill refrigerants

Googled OZ Chill out of curiosity, as similar name to HyChill, a brand name used here and supplied out of Australia. HyChill was the Hydrocarbon refrigerant used in the Tamahere Coolstore explosion, resulting Fire and subsequent death of one fireman and serious injuries to several others.

I note OZ Chills website conveniently omits any clear mention of its flammability and dangers. I also note they heavily promote its use for retrofitting of existing systems. NOT recommended. I would advise our Australian colleagues to take issue with the OZ Chills website as this is similar type of information to that of HyChill etc and was heavily criticized by the Coroner here in NZ for its lack of safety and handling info

The unfortunate thing about Hydrocarbons is that they are a very good and efficient refrigerant, but come with the thorn of being flammable

Coincedently this just came through on my email. I note the stance of the ARA and its objection to the dangers of hydrocarbons and I also not their logo on the OZ Chill site...

Now the cyncic in me would say OZ Chill and the ARA have their hands in each others pockets...just a personal opinion.

we have just seen it in Melbourne and are worried that there will be no labelling on system to let people know it has flammable gas in it.

Quote Originally Posted by cool_tech View Post
    we have just seen it in Melbourne and are worried that there will be no labelling on system to let people know it has flammable gas in it.
    Your home fridges and freezers have been sold in Aus for maybe 2 years now with R600a on board. There are some small commercial cabinets out there as well. As far as i know, there is a limit on the amount of hydrocarbon one can have in any single item in this country,so only small refrigeration units.
    BTW, Had a text from someone in Sydney saying he was now selling split system air-conditioners that used hydrocarbon. Up to 7 KW.
    To the optimist, the glass is half full. To the pessimist, the glass is half empty.

The carbon tax on refrigerants will have a similar outcome as the foil insulation scheme.

To the best of my knowledge you have to be trained accordingly with licence etc before they will sell it to you.

If you do not follow standards etc with charging this stuff then you end up like NZ did.

There is a big check list with ventilation, electrical,gas monotors etc etc.

You have to follow procedures from your training on how do deal with working with it.

If untrained people get their hands on it then big problems.

But if handled , designed correctly surely its no big deal.

We have cars, buses that run on gas
    BBQ cylinders
    camping gear
    gas heaters
    mapp gas cylinders
    oxy acetylene
    hot water systems

All have relevant safety & handling requirements
    Sure people die or get hurt from time to time but its usually poor skills.

Work with ammonia is risky to, but you minimize the risks like anything.

The world of propane users learnt a lot fron NZ accident, but scared a lot of people to.
    Remember they did absolutely nothing right on that job.

http://www.ubf-aca.be/pdf-en/Proklim...nes%202010.pdf

If you read this & understand it, then maybe you could "think about" installing it in a newish leak free system after your training course, its not for smokers
    Last edited by RANGER1; 07-11-2012 at 08:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RANGER1 View Post
    http://www.ubf-aca.be/pdf-en/Proklim...nes%202010.pdf

If you read this & understand it, then maybe you could "think about" installing it in a newish leak free system after your training course, its not for smokers
    Did find this on the OZ Chill website, buried away on a back page, looks like very heavy reading...

Quote Originally Posted by Goober View Post
    Did find this on the OZ Chill website, buried away on a back page, looks like very heavy reading...

Goober,
    Someone at work said to look at it, which I did.
    Its starting from scratch with a manufacturer or maybe mass production.
    At the very end it shows a few examples of commertial equipment retrofits & how to go about it.
    Hychill is another supplier in OZ.

I think if you dkim through it it gives a bit of an idea how serios this stuff is if you want to use it, which is good.
    Basically have to rethink on each application if it is suitable, som e applications its not.
    Also the smaller the charge the better.

Incident in NZ was extremely unfortunate, I'm not trying to be smart or dismiss it in anyway.
    If the wrong people use it incorrectly it a potential bomb.

There's nothing to stop a cowboy putting LPG or similar in there milk bar fridge now if they want, so thats scary in itself.

Have seen a split system approx 2,5 or 3.5 kw running on R290. That was 2 years ago. does this gas work and as easy as they say. if so it will be going in everywhere.

I am involved in the training of Refrigeration Mechanics in the use of Hydrcrbon Refrigerants. As well as a refrigeration mechanic one of my other trades is a Gas Fitter where in the past I piped LPG into homes and service LPG home appliances, they could go bang but they didn't because I am trained.

The Nationally Acredited Units are as follows UEENEEJ174A and UEENEEJ175A please look up the course description on the National Training site.

Contact College of Climate Change 0861420799 for training.

134a has a Global Warming Potential of 1300 Hydrocarbon is 3!!! that is what is driving it's use and in this country it is a fraction of the price.

You can also go to Auto parts suppliers and get a 300 gram pressure pack to charge your car, it works fine in old R12 units, there may be things that should !!! be done , but it works like R12..

You use about 40% weight of charge in comparison to 134a.

The sooner we all get trained the better, and the faster we will catch up to the rest of the world who make most of our units anyway.

Tony B..Adelaide.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeref View Post
    As far as i know, there is a limit on the amount of hydrocarbon one can have in any single item in this country,so only small refrigeration units.
    got this one in the mail today: http://www.oz-chill.com/wp-content/u...Newsletter.jpg

crappy online version but it actually says a perth ice maker lost 123kg's of r22 from its system and replaced with 56kg's of ozchill's r22a.

at the price of r22 in this country now ($90+GST/kg wholesale), it wont be viable to recharge with r22.

<edit> this document is very interesting reading regarding the current licensing regime differences across the states and territories and the proposed models for national harmonisation (wa doesnt have any licensing for hydrocarbon refrigerants that i can find)
    http://ris.finance.gov.au/files/2012...tation-RIS.pdf
    Last edited by assailant; 23-01-2013 at 02:25 PM.