moideen is offline Veteran Poster I am starting to push the Mods: of RE

Lightbulb pool chiller convert to heat pump

Hi,

I have 5 no swimming pool chiller with plate type heat exchanger.unit model: LENOX,HP17-1353V-6M.using only in summer, and on winter it will be silent.for heating purpose,using electrical heater box,made coats,capacity around 145 kw for 900 cubc meter volume swimming pool.as you know the maintenance cost and electricasl consuption is very high compare to heat pump syste.so I want to convert the chiller to heat pump by fixing 4 way valve,check valves and supporting electrical controls.my question, is it possible or have you such experience.any answer really would be appreciated.

Moideen-Dubai

Re: pool chiller convert to heat pump

Who is going to pay for this 'trial'.. You may end up spending a lot of dollars to save a few. Units are a long time in test chambers to ensure reliability (less so for some manufacturers of course!)

thanks your replay, yes no sure it would work out.why i think that the one time replacement of 5 no unit may increase the initial cost.and the existing chiller is working without any complaint.besides i check with some local contractors,saying that the PHE may damaged on heating mode.

Technically easy to do.
    The air coil may not be perfect as an evap, but should still work, just not perfectly.
    Re the PHE, in heating mode, really only an issue if R410a, then you then just need to check with the PHE manufacturer for the max working pressure. (most are rated to approx 30Bar)

A heat pumps efficiency is dependent on the outside temperature and since pools are usually used during warm and mild weather, heat pumps are a very efficient method of heating pools.Me and one of my friends also work on it how we can easily convert it.This information will be helpful for me.Thanks everyone...

In theory it is doable, it only takes a lot of experimentation to get "right".

Apart from the bits you listed above you will need (as a minimum)
    -Modified controls, also allowing for defrost
    -Additional expansion device
    -Receiver (unless already fitted and large enough)
    AND most likely a new, larger PHE.

And yes, I, like probably a lot of others on here are often found building heatpumps out of recycled plant.
    One of my most successful projects was a decommissioned walk in fridge that was converted in to a domestic heat pump/ice sculpture maker. Reduced the annual heating costs for my friend's house with 80%, every winter he had an interesting ice sculpture outside his house and it still worked 10 years after it was installed.

If I were in your situation switching to heat pump would be preferred. While a heat pump may operate for longer time than a 145 kw heater to maintain temperature (depending on outdoor temp), the compressor motor is only 17 hp or about 13 kw. Adding another few kw to figure in the fan operation, the difference between 16 kw and 145 kw is staggering. The heat pump would have to run 9 times longer than the heater to maintain temperature before it became more expensive to operate. Of course you should figure in the cost to rebuild and determine what your payback would be. It would be interesting to note how much of the day that the current electric resistance heater is on. This data would ultimately determine whether or not it is worth the rebuild.

In general most pool heat pump manufacturers claim that using a heat pump can save you up to 80 percent on your utility bills. Granted this depends upon your use and climate zone. But see the pool heat pump web page here. This gives you a general on the cost of operation and energy.

Hope this helps!

Quote Originally Posted by The Viking View Post
    In theory it is doable, it only takes a lot of experimentation to get "right".Apart from the bits you listed above you will need (as a minimum)-Modified controls, also allowing for defrost-Additional expansion device-Receiver (unless already fitted and large enough)AND most likely a new, larger PHE.And yes, I, like probably a lot of others on here are often found building heatpumps out of recycled plant.One of my most successful projects was a decommissioned walk in fridge that was converted in to a domestic heat pump/ice sculpture maker. Reduced the annual heating costs for my friend's house with 80%, every winter he had an interesting ice sculpture outside his house and it still worked 10 years after it was installed.

Dear Viking,Is receiver compalsory for heat pump system? I think receiver required/compalsory for low temperature applications.

Quote Originally Posted by greenscape02 View Post
    If I were in your situation switching to heat pump would be preferred. While a heat pump may operate for longer time than a 145 kw heater to maintain temperature (depending on outdoor temp), the compressor motor is only 17 hp or about 13 kw. Adding another few kw to figure in the fan operation, the difference between 16 kw and 145 kw is staggering. The heat pump would have to run 9 times longer than the heater to maintain temperature before it became more expensive to operate. Of course you should figure in the cost to rebuild and determine what your payback would be. It would be interesting to note how much of the day that the current electric resistance heater is on. This data would ultimately determine whether or not it is worth the rebuild.In general most pool heat pump manufacturers claim that using a heat pump can save you up to 80 percent on your utility bills. Granted this depends upon your use and climate zone. But see the pool heat pump web page here. This gives you a general on the cost of operation and energy.Hope this helps!
    I have prepared energy save calculation which we replaced recently for one of our site, replaced 120 kw heater box by installing calorex propac140 system. please find the attachment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie Mo View Post
    It is hard for people who is not technician to install a 4-way valve to change the heat pump from heating to cooling, first, you need to discharge the refrigerant, to change the controller part......I have a question, why you are using plate heat changer, which had better not use in swimming pool heat pump, also, if with the water source heat pump, it is no suggested using. In Actual using heat pump, which save more cost and produce large heat, now with the EVI system heat pump, which can works at -25 degree C.
    can you explain the technical problems of phe when using on heatpump. i have seen some heatpumps in dubai(local made and lower tonnage) with phe.
    Energy save analysis-pool-1.pdf

thanks to all
    moideen-dubai
    Last edited by moideen; 11-03-2013 at 08:52 AM.