Thread: commercial work

Smile commercial work

hi all,

basically im 23 and have been doing transport refrigeration since i left school, but ive also done a bit on the commercial side (small cold stores, display cabnets, split a/c units etc) and i find this much more interesting. i am wanting to go into commercial work full time but finding it hard to get anywhere.

ive got my f-gas 2079, nvq level 2 in air con and refrigeration, sub diploma in electronic engineering (plc's & processors etc) and i am doing the 17th edition wiring regs in a couple of weeks. just wondering if anyone can give me any advice on how to go about getting into commercial work or if anyone knows of any companies in the north east who would take me on!

thanks for any advice

paul

Re: commercial work

somebody must be able to give me some advice?!

Paul,
    I'm sorry that you had no replies, unfortunately you are looking for employment during difficult times.

Recently there has been some major players laying engineers off, and as a result the market is saturated with time served skilled engineers also looking for work.

The best you can do is to ask around in your local area, research to see what companies serves endusers in your neighbourhood then contact them directly.

Good luck,

Quote Originally Posted by pkw111 View Post
    somebody must be able to give me some advice?!
    Love em or loath em but supermarkets are always going to be a big
    player in the UK. So companies that do supermarket work are always
    on the lookout for experienced guys.

Trouble is now-a-days, a lot of the supermarkets have just rearranged
    their maintenance contracts and a lot of the established refrigeration
    companies have had to lose some of their of engineers, as they moved
    with the contracts to other contractors.

So look at http://www.freeindex.co.uk/categorie...refrigeration/

Just put your post code in the search box and click how many miles away
    you want to look and simply search. They list nearly every company with a
    brief description of who they are and where they work.

Regards

Rob

Last edited by Rob White; 03-11-2012 at 02:31 PM.

start on your own ? if you have been working on tk or carrier or any of the serious kit commercial is a walk in the park ie it dont move most kit in the dry and the control panel is useually in a plant warm nice and dry not 50 mph on the side of a a road if youve been mainly on gah or hubbard you may be best to find a company that does commercial and transport to get some more experience what kit have you been used to? just remember a fridge is a fridge just some have a few more details and parts but still the same princeiples the difference between a vector and a bitzer the vector is useually 6 ft of the ground work on smart reefers ? a dixell is easy compared to them but believe me when i say once you have done transport its in the blood very few do both and the commercial market there is a lot more competition like above says there is a lot of competeion in the market at the moment with commercial

thanks for the replies lads

charlie, work for a tk dealer so mainly tk carrier and hubbard but work on anything and everyting

main problem with transport is i dont like engines! really boaring work to me but i will just have to keep trying i suppose