Low side too low and high side too high

I just repaired a single stage cpu condensing unit (machII), had a crack in the suction line. I replaced the suction line, filter drier, then charged with r404a, system uses a capillary tube as a metering device.

When I run the unit everything seems ok at first, pressures ok, it cools down to -52. After about 4mins the temp starts increasing, also at the same time the low side goes lower and lower until it's in quite a deep vacuum. The high side pressure is also unusually high, starts off high but gets a little higher as the low side goes lower. Also when I switch off the unit the low and high side pressures do not equalize, only after a few hours do they equalize.

I'm suspecting a blockage somewhere, what do you guy's think? I have never seen these symptoms, very unusual for me.

Re: Low side too low and high side too high

Clogged capillary tube or sunken ...

I have had the same issue in the past, found out that the compressor has been replaced and it was one size to big, they had installed a CAJ 2464 Z instead of a CAJ 2446 Z....just something to check.

For the blockage check for a cold spot metering device or drier. How did you charge the system by weight or other - it could be overcharged too. Considering it takes time you could have moisture in the system causing the blockage.

Brian_UK is offline Moderator I am starting to push the Mods: of RE Site Moderator : and general nice guy

As mentioned above, what level of vacuum did you achieve before recharging as it sounds like an ice block forming at a restriction.
    Brian - Newton Abbot, Devon, UK
    Retired March 2015

Hi Greed

blockage should pull 30inch vac, wrong compressor will not pull that low if there is gas flow

R's chillerman
    If the World did not Suck, We would all fall off !

Could it be oil problems? -60C evap temp is very low.
    Mostly found in Oxfordshire, UK :)

Quote Originally Posted by RusBuka View Post
    Clogged capillary tube or sunken ...
    Thanks for your suggestion, much appreciated.
    Quote Originally Posted by frozen air View Post
    I have had the same issue in the past, found out that the compressor has been replaced and it was one size to big, they had installed a CAJ 2464 Z instead of a CAJ 2446 Z....just something to check.
    The compressor is the original, what came with the unit from the manufacturer, thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tesla View Post
    For the blockage check for a cold spot metering device or drier. How did you charge the system by weight or other - it could be overcharged too. Considering it takes time you could have moisture in the system causing the blockage.
    I charged by weight, put about 300g of r404a. Moisture is a deffinate possibility, now that I think about it, I rushed the vacuuming as my new vacuum pump (robinair) seemed to be strange, 10mins into the vacuuming I noticed a strange burning smell coming from the pump, was sort of a burnt rubber smell, I looked at it's sight glass and noticed the oil change had a cloudy/milky appearance. I have since changed the oil and tested the pump on another unit, it pulled a fairly decent cucuum or at least I think it did. The oil is still slightly cloudy, do you think the pump is faulty/damaged?

Quote Originally Posted by Brian_UK View Post
    As mentioned above, what level of vacuum did you achieve before recharging as it sounds like an ice block forming at a restriction.
    As above, you have a very good point, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by chillerman2006 View Post
    Hi Greed

blockage should pull 30inch vac, wrong compressor will not pull that low if there is gas flow

Not sure if I understand what you are saying, please explain in another way.

R's chillerman
    Quote Originally Posted by monkey spanners View Post
    Could it be oil problems? -60C evap temp is very low.
    I have another unit which has the same evap temps, that one runs very well.

Thanks everyone, wish I joined this forum sooner, you are a great bunch of guy's.

Hi Greed

what I am saying is if your low side gauge goes right to the bottom of the vacuum scale it is blocked

it will not go to the bottom of scale with over sized compressor

R's chillerman
    If the World did not Suck, We would all fall off !

Quote Originally Posted by chillerman2006 View Post
    Hi Greed

what I am saying is if your low side gauge goes right to the bottom of the vacuum scale it is blocked

it will not go to the bottom of scale with over sized compressor

R's chillerman
    I see, thanks.

Cooling system for processors usually run by ***** 3 \ 4 of the necessary, and then start to add 15-20 grams every 10-15 minutes at full load. Just pick a capillary tube under the evaporator is very difficult.)))

Quote Originally Posted by RusBuka View Post
    Cooling system for processors usually run by ***** 3 \ 4 of the necessary, and then start to add 15-20 grams every 10-15 minutes at full load. Just pick a capillary tube under the evaporator is very difficult.)))
    I understand partly what you are saying, thanks for the suggestion. Don't know what you mean about the capillary tube.

***UPDATE***
    I have just started vacuuming the system, this time I have used another pump and it has also turned the oil cloudy.
    Can I assume that this is caused by the system being "really wet"?? I remember reading somewhere that some engineers sometimes have to change the oil in their pumps several times if the system is really wet, what do you guy's think?

If your pump oil is cloudy it needs to be changed and indicates moisture in system. On this small system you should be measuring the vacuum level at well below 500 microns and holding for some time (to indicate/confirm no moisture in system and no leaks). The capillary may need changing as well as the drier.
    To check if your pump is good enough put a vac stat straight on it and anything 25 micros or below is good, above 50 micros and the pump is going to do stuff all.

Quote Originally Posted by Greed4Speed View Post
    I understand partly what you are saying, thanks for the suggestion. Don't know what you mean about the capillary tube.

***UPDATE***
    I have just started vacuuming the system, this time I have used another pump and it has also turned the oil cloudy.
    Can I assume that this is caused by the system being "really wet"?? I remember reading somewhere that some engineers sometimes have to change the oil in their pumps several times if the system is really wet, what do you guy's think?
    Length of capillary tube is very difficult to calculate. The system is controlled by the amount of *****.

Sorted, was a moisture problem as I suspected, should of known better. I vacuumed the system again, gave it a much deeper seeing to this time. My vacuum pump is ok now, no more cloudy oil, no burning smell. System running well now.

Thanks guy's

Brian_UK is offline Moderator I am starting to push the Mods: of RE Site Moderator : and general nice guy

It all comes down to the old expressions - "Just suck it and see"
    Brian - Newton Abbot, Devon, UK
    Retired March 2015

And a tip on using vacuum pumps, warm it up befor you start using it on a system, let it run in a closed off possition till it is hot to the touch, this ensures a lower moisture build up in the oil.