Inverter Testing

Typed up this generic guide to Inverter testing. May as well spread the word!

Hope it helps,

Cheers,
    Andy.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Tayters; 24-10-2012 at 07:44 PM.

Health and safety first..........unless I'm in a hurry.

Re: Inverter Testing

install monkeys guide to testing inverters

plug in inverter checker- watch flashy lights
    connect comp and try to run- if no joy, give it a kick
    if it buzzes/humms- its f**ked-ring tayters 24hrs pref sunday morning around 6am
    if it chugs- why did i dig out the inverter checker and waste 30 mins????
    drink coffee

24hr call out - man, didn't realise I signed up for that. Hey ho, beats helping the plumber out

Inverter checker ha, don't make me laugh.

Well alright then, agreed they come in useful but some models watch compressor current and will shut down before the lights have had a chance to show anything. Also they will show switching but not the voltage output. I came across this when a compressor was changed and still trying to jump out the unit. When measuring the voltage output 2 phases were around 150V and the other 270V and when a motor was hung in it's place it just went back and forwards. Still all switching but one switching longer than the others. Unit had originally be checked with said inverter checker (compressor £942, IPM £177 - my labour £peanuts!)
    Health and safety first..........unless I'm in a hurry.

the joys of an inverter checker is when you read the destructions- it says do not leave it on the system too long as it will eventually blow the diodes!- and dont forget if you diagnose a faulty comp, you dont get 12 month warranty unless you replace the inverter pcb, diode module, power module- but worth phoning you to say help!! haha
    worth noting that mitsi city multi compressors req 24 hrs crankcase heater on as the bearing is tight and will simulate a siezed compressor- 1 person i knew replaced 3 compressors, returned 2 quoting theyre siezed- thick **** vacced em out for a few hrs, didnt allow enough time prior to running system!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tayters View Post
    24hr call out - man, didn't realise I signed up for that. Hey ho, beats helping the plumber out

Inverter checker ha, don't make me laugh.

Well alright then, agreed they come in useful but some models watch compressor current and will shut down before the lights have had a chance to show anything. Also they will show switching but not the voltage output. I came across this when a compressor was changed and still trying to jump out the unit. When measuring the voltage output 2 phases were around 150V and the other 270V and when a motor was hung in it's place it just went back and forwards. Still all switching but one switching longer than the others. Unit had originally be checked with said inverter checker (compressor £942, IPM £177 - my labour £peanuts!)

I havent had a lot of success with inverter analysis got a few to do tommorow - Daikin say 10 meg ohms to earth (compressor) will put PC into fault. I have an inverter tester stopped using it - interested to know how others find it