Smile Opportunities Working in Industrial Refrigeration

Hello All,

I am new to this site and have been advised by one of my friends to put my details on here and see if any of you guys can help me. I am currently working as a Plant Operator/Engineer within Industrial Refrigeration. Its a 100% Ammonia site, looking after single & two stage systems and covering three engine rooms. I am keen to continue in this environment but with another company as i have been very let down by the company i have relocated to working for. As i am committed to succeed within this industry, I would be prepared to relocate again in order to fulfill my career aspirations.

If anyone can be of assistance relating to the above, it will be very much appreciated.

Thanks All

Santini

Re: Opportunities Working in Industrial Refrigeration

Hi and hello,
    welcome to the forum. You seem to have a positive attitude which these days is good, wish you all the best with relocation employment.

Hello Magoo,

Thanks for the comment, much appreciated

To Santini,

Hope your search for employment is going well.

How long have you been working on Industrial Refrigeration?

What qualifications do you have?

I'am interested as I See many jobs advertised but they do not seem to be getting filled?

Have you applied to many positions and have you had any response.

From CO

Hello CO,

Thanks for replying to my message.

I have been in Industrial refrigeration for approx 8mths now, have got my C&G 2079 (F-GAS) and piping and brazing. Also have my Technical Certificates in NVQ2 & NVQ3 in RAC and am about to take my Safe Handling of Ammonia C&G 2078.

I have only just started applying again due to family matters (relative being ill from where i reclocated from) or to have a bit of flexiblility from my next employer should my family back home need me as i am currently living in Lincolnshire.

Hows your search going? I can see you put a message on here towards the end of August?

From Santini

To Santini,

My search for employment is not been very good.
    I have contacted many companies and adverts but only had about 4 replys.
    None offering positions, many companys have not replied.
    Agencys seem like they do not even respond to questions!

I think I am seriously lacking in Experience & Qualifications.

I worked for over a year on only Large Industrial Refrigeration across the UK for a service/maintenance contractor. I also undertook NVQ, C&G and Electrical training.
    I have not done CG2078 or CG2079. I was never put on them and would have had to work another 2/3 Years before undertaking them.

Where did you take your C&G 2079 & NVQ2 / NVQ3 in RAC??

From CO

Quote Originally Posted by CHARLIE-OSCAR View Post

I worked for over a year on only Large Industrial Refrigeration across the UK for a service/maintenance contractor.

I have not done CG2078 or CG2079.

From CO
    Hi Charlie

I think you think right and also think your service and maintenance contractor surely lost all their contracts by employing unqualified, inexperienced staff ........ wtf were they playing at

R's chillerman
    If the World did not Suck, We would all fall off !

Quote Originally Posted by Santini View Post
    If anyone can be of assistance relating to the above, it will be very much appreciated.
    Hi Santini

IF you know your stuff, could try

J E Hall

Sabroe ( now under Johnsons but still seperate department)

Star refrigeration

R's chillerman

Chillerman,
    I was a Trainee but was expected to know everything without being taught!
    I did'nt know what industrial refrigeration was when I started!
    In that first year I was doing maintence checks and assiting in major rebuilds, pulling Heads & Pistons and finding Ammonia leaks!

It was a pretty harsh learning curve resulting in me putting long hours in, then they threw in the Night course's for good measure I was leaving home at 0530 getting home about 2200 hours, then try to catch up on coursework at night, not very good for fatigue management.

And Yes needless to say said branch is no more :-(
    There was some very good engineers I worked with but not enough of them, at one point I was showing a person older than myself what I was doing so he could learn?????????

My current employer is even worse, I had no on job training (Non Refrigeration position) I have to carry out Engineering & Repair tasks, some repairs on systems with a 3500psi operating pressure and if I refuse I have been told they will replace me. I mentioned Health & Safety and they just laughed. The current game is which employee will work for the least money (currently at £25.00 for a whole day!) which is great for ones Career. I won't quit as I don't want to make myself unemployed.

Currently I don't know what to do!! I would rather go back to 16+ hrs days as a trainee than work where I currently do.

Everyones got to start at the bottom but all the employers only want skilled workers? There must be a company out there that realise there is a skills shortage and will take the initiative to train people.

From CO

CO

cant think of anyone taking on trainees in industrial sector .... will be a big skills shortage in the future if things dont change..... any decent company wont let you loose as yours do without training ..... reciepe for disaster

google prs jobs [pheonix resourcing services] maybe how to help you as one is ex J E hall industrial engineer ! and knows this area of recruiters inside out

R's chillerman

To Santini,

My search for employment is not been very good.
    I have contacted many companies and adverts but only had about 4 replys.
    None offering positions, many companys have not replied.
    Agencys seem like they do not even respond to questions!

I worked for over a year on only Large Industrial Refrigeration across the UK for a service/maintenance contractor. I also undertook NVQ, C&G and Electrical training.
    I have not done CG2078 or CG2079. I was never put on them and would have had to work another 2/3 Years before undertaking them.

Where did you take your C&G 2079 & NVQ2 / NVQ3 in RAC??

From CO
    Hello CO,

You sound as though you have the right attitude and determination to make it in this field. Whats more, you sound as though you are in the same boat as me. The training is very hard to come by and it baffles me why companies, especially when they know your level of experience at the time of interview, continue to act like this. J&E Hall's are looking in the South West, South Coast and East Midlands. Have you tried any FCMG Companies? speak to people direct as some of the agencies are very poor nowadays with customer service and interest in responding to your needs.....Give Richmond Associates and Food Careers a call (both agencies).

You do need to get your C&G 2079 & 2078 as it will make your CV/Career history more attractive & as you already have a year experience behind you in this field, it will help and you will be fine in getting through them. I did my 2079 at Taiga training in Glos. along with my Tech Cert NVQ3, my NVQ2 was done at Eastleigh College & am looking to do my 2078 Ammonia at HAL Training in Dartford as i have heard good things about them.

Good Luck CO, I wish you all the best & definitely think it might be worth you speaking to Distribution Companies, Food Manufacturing & Production sites etc, companies that will have ammonia equipt.

Santini

Quote Originally Posted by chillerman2006 View Post
    Hi Santini

IF you know your stuff, could try

J E Hall

Sabroe ( now under Johnsons but still seperate department)

Star refrigeration

R's chillerman
    Hello Chillerman,

Thanks for your input

I have been in touch with various areas of Star and J&E's direct but I am at improver stage so am in the similar situation as Charlie Oscar. But also been look at the various food manufacturing/production companies as it seems as though more and more are beginning to look at bringing the engineers inhouse rather than outsourcing.....going round in one big bloody circle again!!! lol

I have even looked at my old employer GEA Grenco but they aren't looking either.....However, not gonna give up, gonna keep on looking as well as funding myself through gaining my C&G 2078 Safe Handling of Ammonia.

Thanks again for your input Chillerman, all the best!!

Quote Originally Posted by chillerman2006 View Post
    CO
    google prs jobs [pheonix resourcing services] maybe how to help you as one is ex J E hall industrial engineer ! and knows this area of recruiters inside out
    R's chillerman
    Thanks for the advice Chillerman, I'm really grateful for all advice I recieve, I will contact PRS and see if they can be of assistance.

From CO

J&E Hall's are looking in the South West, South Coast and East Midlands.
    J&E, I have contacted them but I have heard nothing, I will try again with them.

Give Richmond Associates and Food Careers a call (both agencies).
    Thanks for the recommendation of " Richmond Associates", I have not contacted them before so I will see if they can assist me.

Food Careers have not responded to my emails, though I have signed up to their site though.

You do need to get your C&G 2079 & 2078 as it will make your CV/Career history more attractive & as you already have a year experience behind you in this field
    Thanks for your advice on where you have carried out your training, I will look those training companys up.

I was considering polarpumps at Doncaster? I don't know if you have any Heard Good/Bad or had any experience of them?

Good Luck CO, I wish you all the best & definitely think it might be worth you speaking to Distribution Companies, Food Manufacturing & Production sites etc, companies that will have ammonia equipt.
    Santini
    Santini,

Thank you for your good wishes and very good advice.

I also wish you Good luck with finding your new employer, I'm sure that it will happen soon for you. You have got the qualifications in place and a strong desire to work and, like myself, you want to build a career in this industry.

If I hear of any positions I will PM them to you, if you hear of anything else which may suit me please let me know.

From CO

to CO and santini,
    it is always difficult to get onto industrial work, particually with a short work history and little experience. A vicicous circle really. But reality is, who is going to employ a novice and let them loose on a critical plant worth millions of dollars.
    Pieces of paper qualifications are just that.., peices of paper. Most industrial people have started in commercial and developed into bigger plants under guidance. So the work history and track records. Can only suggest starting with a manufacturer and project system installer and work your way up from there, time and experience . The technowledgy is the same, just the bits get bigger and refrigerant more dangerous, control system more complicated. I am afraid there are no short cuts into industry

"Consultants The people that come out after the battle is over and shoot all the wounded"

Ouch!
    Hi Magoo.

I take you still have the scars somewhere to prove it?
    But don't you sometimes act as a consultant?

I suppose those of us with site knowledge are consultants sometimes!
    I bet it's not uncommon for your customers to phone you at any hour wanting you to fix something over the phone?
    I had one (who still phones to this day!) call me.
    Asking me to respond. When I complained that it was a Bank holiday Monday.
    He replied "Well it would not be a Bank Holiday if I did not call you would it!"

Back to the main point.
    I myself started in this industry via the Agency work route.
    Which can be good for both the Employee and Employee.
    When you are working somewhere as an agency worker both get a chance to assess each other.
    Many I know like myself have struck up a relationship which resulted in a permanent position being offered.
    Admitted to start I was offered very low wages.
    But crucially I got both on the job and college training.
    The qualifications are a start and should be used to prove your commitment.
    They don't to a potential employer prove ability!

Example.
    You can show someone how to cut with a hacksaw, but then tell them to cut straight through some steel.

The big boys that I know, all get huge numbers of applications whenever a job is advertised.
    Quite a few that work in other ares of refrigeration and they themselves want to broaden their knowledge base.
    So actually being employed within the Industrial area in any guise is a bonus.

Ours is a fantastically rewarding job at times but there a lot of crap as well.
    You guys are hampered by the fact that guys are being laid off at present, even from the big boys!
    Don't give up though having enthusiasm is real asset.
    You both just may have to keep plugging away for a little longer!

Gone are the days of direct entrants with virtually no apprentices. A huge number of the guys in the industry are like myself moving towards the end of our careers.
    So as has been stated the will be a huge skills shortage at some point, so keep picking up the knowledge.

And Good Luck, (Cause we all need some of that!)

I was considering polarpumps at Doncaster? I don't know if you have any Heard Good/Bad or had any experience of them?

I have known Pete at Polarpumps in Doncaster for nearly 10 years and they
    have an excellent Ammonia setup and Pete will ensure you are fully trained
    and qualified to work with Ammonia.

Regards

Rob

Last edited by Rob White; 03-11-2012 at 03:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob White View Post
    I have known Pete at Polarpumps in Doncaster for nearly 10 years and they
    have an excellent Ammonia setup and Pete will ensure you are fully trained
    and qualified to work with Ammonia.

Regards

Rob

Pete is aware of the forum!

Rob.
    I would dispute that anyone with a safe handling ticket can be classed as fully trained!
    That is not a dig at Polar or Halls, who are the main contenders where Ammonia 2078 is concerned.
    And very good at what they do!
    Just that obtaining a safe handling ticket should be viewed rather like getting your driving licence.

A starting point!

Grizzly

hookster is offline Veteran Poster I am starting to push the Mods: of RE

I agree with Grizzly
    Training is your building base and there are many steps to developing your career. It is those with a passion and an interest in the industry that succeed. I see forums like this and a keen knowledge to find out the latest developments that will help to get you that position when at interview stage. The old adage of talking the talk and walking the walk applies.

Companies in the UK are facing serious cut throat competition and an ever increasing demand to make savings from training to delivering service. The industrial refrigeration industry has a high percentage of the technicians in their twilight years and the incentive to recruit and train is missing. we should be recruiting into the industry and this wealth of knowledge within the industry is passed down before it is lost.

The reality is though there is no budgets to recruit, no government incentives for apprentice training (In any worthwhile industry) and trainees who want excessive wages and perks for their ability (No way for companies to recover these costs)

So we sit with the situation we are in now and thank goodness some of the knowledge can be passed on via electronic media but nothing beats that apprentice sitting in the van next to an experienced technician and learning at the coal face! To the few trainees I have seen in the last few years, hopefully one day you will understand why you started with a rag wiping up oil in my plant rooms!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Grizzly View Post
    Pete is aware of the forum!

Rob.
    I would dispute that anyone with a safe handling ticket can be classed as fully trained!
    That is not a dig at Polar or Halls, who are the main contenders where Ammonia 2078 is concerned.
    And very good at what they do!
    Just that obtaining a safe handling ticket should be viewed rather like getting your driving licence.

A starting point!

Grizzly

Point taken.

Bad wording on my part.

What I meant was, Pete will not let you have the ticket, if
    you have not earned it. When it comes to Ammonia training
    Pete fully understands what is required.

Regards

Rob

Hi Grizzly.
    Your are correct, and Hookster made some valid points.
    We all have probably had the situation that a client squirms at having a trainee tag along on a service call, moaning about additional labour costs etc., but how can the next generation be up skilled, is my standard reply.

hi i am in same boat but ive got my j11 and compadent brazing etc i also have 17th edition,2392 and part p.....im undergoing nvq3 nearly finished:roll eyes: im only getting small bits of work here and there as in contract there is a course on commissioning a/c systems its a c&g has anyone one done this ???is it worth while??? cheers