Whirlpool ARC 5551 - problems after changing thermostat.

Ordered a replcement thermostat for my fridge and got a Ranco VT9.

Removed the old thermostat and installed the ranco. Pushed the capillary tube slowly in to the bottom. 8
    Installed the black wire to 6, the brown to 4, red (door switch) to 3 and ground to the "metal" body. The fridge now runs and the temp is dropping.

The problem seem to be that the thermostat does not work, if I turn the switch to the off position it powers down. But it does not "cut" and the temp is reaching 4 degrees. And the light wont come on after the door have been closed to 1 hour. It did however work right after i plugged it back in.
    And the bulb works, tested in a cabinet light.

Any suggestions to what I have done wrong?

Re: Whirlpool ARC 5551 - problems after changing thermostat.

If the lights not coming on after one hour then the stat is wired wrongly.
    Think I usually connect 3 to 4 (danfoss no 3)or
    6 and 4 on vt9.
    One of these only cycles off when the stat is turned to zero the other still runs but would cut out when cold temp reached.
    Why did you decide to change stat,was it running but not cold enough or was it completely dead ?
    Last edited by spimps; 25-10-2012 at 09:05 AM.
    “Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving” Einstein

6 and 4 are the ones to cycle compressor. 6 is your power in and 3 generally has low wattage heater connected. Light switch is fed off the paired wires that you should have in position 6. If this doesn't make sense, post a photo so i can see what's going on.
    To the optimist, the glass is half full. To the pessimist, the glass is half empty.

Okay, I have fed the wires from the old stat to the new using the old as reference to the wires.

So i should pair the red wire coming from the door switch with the black one going to the contact numbered 6? And leave 3 not connected?

And thank you!

Or did you mean to papir the black wire with the red on the door switch and plug the red to contact 6?

Find the wire that has power available all the time and place it at position 6. Find the wire that feeds the compressor and place it in position 4. The way most fridges here work with a mechanical thermostat is to have your power to the light switch supplied from a second wire run from terminal 6 as your door switch should have power available all the time.
    Having said this, there might be other ways manufacturers feed your door switch.
    A picture of your wiring diagram, or a link to one would be helpful.. Mike.
    To the optimist, the glass is half full. To the pessimist, the glass is half empty.

Here are ranco and danfoss domestic wiring set ups,amended my previous post as it's danfoss no3 that is 3-4.

http://www.actrol.com.au/ProductLook...E/PAGE_113.HTM

Found them down under
    Last edited by spimps; 25-10-2012 at 09:05 AM.
    “Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving” Einstein