Best way for installing Armaflex type insulation on thick pipes

Good evening.
    I`m having a hard time trying to slip Armaflex type insulation around a thick copper pipe (I guess the pipe is US made since it reads 2-5/8 which is about 67 mm). I`m used to install this type of insulation around smaller pipes, without much hassle. Sometimes, whenever the white powder that comes with the insulation seems ineffective, I run some water through the inside of the insulation as to lubricate it and make it easier to slip. But this method is not working with this thicker pipe. Any suggestion on how to install it ?

Re: Best way for installing Armaflex type insulation on thick pipes

cut each insulation length in half, reduces the friction drag plus use more powder, flour helps.

As Magoo said - the powder needed is Talcom Powder the stuff our mums might use to help dry off after the shower. Water must be the worst thing to use...
    Another method is to cut the insulation along the length and glue it back on ensuring to seal each section to the pipe for an inch at the ends to the pipe.

Eh Tesla? You're right about the baby powder but cutting the insulation length wise is a little rough.(WOOF)
    Best to carry around a bottle of baby powder. Pour liberal amount down the inside of insulation and make sure the pipe is clean and dry. A little "compression and advance" to move the insulation along the pipe saves tearing the material.
    (Off topic) hope you find another job soon Tesla. Read on another post that you've been made redundant. All the best. Mike.
    To the optimist, the glass is half full. To the pessimist, the glass is half empty.

Quote Originally Posted by Magoo View Post
    cut each insulation length in half, reduces the friction drag plus use more powder, flour helps.
    Self raising I assume?
    Talc seems to be the standard as others have already said.
    Although on various tight spots it may well be necessary to slit and glue / tape, again already stated.
    Give the various recommended options a try coldseeker, you will soon develop your own system.
    Grizzly
    Last edited by frank; 15-10-2012 at 07:26 PM.

Depending on the size and quality of the project it may be a case where the tradesman/woman fits and welds the pipe prior to the apprentice of insulator tech fits the insulation. Also larger pipe takes a lot more muscle to slide on the insulation. This is where some art comes into the job to accurately cut out the wedges for the corners to form near perfectly glue joins. I stress it is important to seal each end of the insulation to the pipe to create cells of insulation. This helps where one cut or damaged insulation length draws in moisture it won't cause as much damage to the whole length of pipe.

WD40 works a treat!! use a carving knife to slit the armaflex if you have to, the boxes used to come with the angles printed on them to make up corners etc. We had a lot of issues with talc here, premature rotting of pipe etc, maybe it was just crap talc!

al
    Mostly found in the southern part of this green and pleasant land.

posh git (wd40)
    - just slice it with a sharp stanley knife and a pot of armaflex glue, make sure the slit is preferably out of site- also its funny watching an apprentice trying to unstick his fingers
    Quote Originally Posted by al View Post
    WD40 works a treat!! use a carving knife to slit the armaflex if you have to, the boxes used to come with the angles printed on them to make up corners etc. We had a lot of issues with talc here, premature rotting of pipe etc, maybe it was just crap talc!

al

A can of black spray paint does the trick and write armaflex on the pipe when dry with Tippex (correction fluid)
    They'll never notice.
    Trust me I'm a fridgie

Cheers
    Stu
    Tool's ? check ! Condom's ? check !
    If you can't fix it , f*ck it !!!

Talc and bigger arms required!
    In the words of David Byrne, Well...How did I get here?

hahahahaha F**ckin brilliant lads, that has cheered me up hahahaha.

Good morning and thank you for your advice on this subject. I tried cleaning the exterior of the pipe with a good degreaser and water, and then the talc and cutting the armaflex in half lengths. It worked fine, although I had to use more glue. I also tried one of those lubricants used by electricians when wiring through conduit, but didn`t work.