Service Literature for a JE Hall Thermotank

Hello
    I am rebuilding a Navy Ships Main A/C plant and need some Information on Rebuilding a JE Hall Thermotank Veeblock V92 8 Cylinder. I stripped and measured all parts but the navy requires back to spec tolerances, Which i don't have. I have ordered the top end and two pistons on one comp and a top and bottom end rebuild for the other. If someone could help me with a service manual i would appreciate it. My email is tsivis@bigpond.com.au
    Cheers Michael

Re: Service Literature for a JE Hall Thermotank

Hi Michael.
    I have just sent (stupidly having a senior moment) the parts pdf to Stuart (Spencer.Guy).
    I will send you a copy.
    However as far as I know the teardown manual is pre pdf. Unless someone has taken the time to copy on to pdf.
    If and it is a big if! I am in the office and I am allowed I will see if I can get my copy scanned and copied.
    I am interested in what ship you are talking about?
    Only I and a lot of my ex halls colleagues worked oh those Admiralty skids.
    Very dated but built like a brick dunny!
    Good luck

Grizzly

Hi Grizzly
    Thankyou for your time. I have contacted all the the hall distributers and asked politely for a manual and even after spending a huge amount on parts to rebuild these old babies they reckon they cant help me with even a tolerance sheet. If you can help me anymore i would appreciate it and will return the gesture. As for ships its the Australian Navy and the ship is called HMAS Success. If I cant get any info I will use some other manuals and rule of thumb. They are just desperate to sail once I get the parts
    Cheers Michael

Michael.
    I will see what I can do, I may end up sending pages bit by bit.
    Leave it with me!
    You have my email if you need to just ask.

Grizzly

Check your mail Michael.
    Its only a couple of pages but has some useful Info provided yours is a MK2 comp of course.
    Grizzly

Thanks alot for the info, I do have a MK11. The manual would help but i will just push on without it and try and rebuild it with the spec sheet you provided
    Thanks again
    Cheers Michael

Hi Grizzly
    One of the compressors that hasn,t smashed up inside had seals going on it for a while the Navy told me, We have come in to find the system firstly short in gas. We changed the shaft seal and topped up the gas. At the same time we changed the rear gasket that gives you oil pressure at seal ( Pulley end behind seal, This gasket was wrong and had blown out. ) They also had only 130 kpa oil difference, 650kpa suction and 1100 kpa head. The parts changed are oil pump/gaskets, seal filter/o ring. We have cleaned galleries and hand pumped oil back down crank. The wear on bottom end didnt look excessive, without pulling down and measuring. Im not sure if we could have a broken dist tube or if it just has to much play I carried out a pump down test and a valve check, it slowly eqaulized through dis reeds. It only pulls down to -20 kpa. what do you think
    Cheers michael.

Hi Michael.
    I have seen all sorts of problems with the wrong seals being fitted,basically there are 2 types Dowty and mills style. Liner suction seals that is.
    I am struggling to remember, ( so maybe someone else can help!)
    Sorry but is so long since I rebuilt one that I have gone temporarily brain dead!!!
    I have the part numbers written down within my manual, which sadly as you know is now at our office awaiting being converted to a pdf.
    I must admit your remark about the blown gasket sounds strange?
    And worries me a little.
    On any recip if there is to much wear then the required back pressure within the oil ways will be low resulting in poor oil pressure.
    As would a worn thrust ring resulting in to much end float of the crankshaft. You have the thrust washer wear limits. They may be relevant.
    Did you check out the oil strainer in the sump?
    How much of a service did you give it?

My initial thoughts are is that there is either a wear issue.

Sorry I cannot be more positive slightly knackered as I have just done a 13hr shift with 4 of those hrs driving.
    Cheers grizzly

I'd rep you if i could Grizz, you're giving me an education in tear downs!! Not done any since i left York.

al
    Mostly found in the southern part of this green and pleasant land.

Quote Originally Posted by al View Post
    I'd rep you if i could Grizz, you're giving me an education in tear downs!! Not done any since i left York.

al
    Appreciated Al.
    Your blessing comes a close second.
    Tear downs are rare in the chiller market nowadays, but we still get them on the Industrial side.

Hey, theres not a lot to forget on a J is there!
    Grizzly

Hi the low oil pressure could be down to leaking miliflex seals on the liner which load and off load cyclinders , to change them ,turn liner upside down , remove the thin clip off the liner, take the moving sleve off ,inside it it has a big circlip, remove the clip and pull out the seal , and same on the liner but on the liner seal it says not moving printed on it ,so it cant be fitted wrong. after changing seal you need to put back the liner, make sure you put an large thin oring on the bottom off the liner it has a recess for it and also put a round fibre gasket on the crankcase were the bottom of the liner cage sits to stop the oil leaking out. The oil pump pumps oil pressure in one direction ,its not bi directional

Thanks Gaz.
    You came to my rescue anyway. Millflex is the link.
    Seen many Dowty type where the seal lips roll over etc.
    Anyway Gaz is spot on, if one of these seals is leaking then the oil pressure which provides the power to drop the suction ring unloading pins.
    Fades or fails to develop enough pressure, on account it is bleeding back into the crankcase.
    Come to think of it if oil pressure for whatever reason had blown a gasket as you say then why not a unloading seal as well.

Grizzly