Babs_devilangel Guest

Question Hotpoint Fridge Freezer RFA52

I really hope someone can help me with this. The fridge on my fridge freezer keeps freezing, I think it maybe the thermostat, I know you can replace it, but, this is the thing, where is the thermostat and how do I get to it. Many thanks

Re: Hotpoint Fridge Freezer RFA52

Quote Originally Posted by Babs_devilangel View Post
    I really hope someone can help me with this. The fridge on my fridge freezer keeps freezing, I think it maybe the thermostat, I know you can replace it, but, this is the thing, where is the thermostat and how do I get to it. Many thanks
    i think you will find that the stat operates on evap temp, therefore there is a possibillity that it is short of gas. check evap frost all the way through first before replacing the stat.

Babs_devilangel Guest

Thanks for the reply Dave, but how do I check the evap frost?

Babs

Unless you are technicically minded you are going to need a man who can...

michaelberg1138 Guest

The defrost termination thermostat, which is what I think you are referring to, is located inside the evaporator compartment inside the freezer. It is a snap-disc type thermostat that is attached with a clip to the evapoator tubing. While you have the evaporator cover off, start the refrigerator and visually look at the evaporator coil, it should frost all the way across within a couple of minutes.

Hi,
    I would suggest you have had some good advice.
    However, without bothering to check on the layout of your fridge freezer, my first question would be, presumably the fridge has a wet back, IE. a defrost trough on the back, if so, then the thermostat will, as has been advised be close to the evaporator, assuming there is frost around it, then it's the thermostat, if not it is either lacking refrigerant or a faulty compressor, and if it's R600a forget it.
    NJW

Quote Originally Posted by Babs_devilangel View Post

briantheblade Guest

The RFA52 has the thermostat in the fridge (top right above the fast freeze switch). It is where the temperature regulator knob is. First try to adjust the temperature up. If this fails, try espares.co.uk, the thermostat is part number ES871175, cost £21.49.

Jerry7235 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by davej View Post
    i think you will find that the stat operates on evap temp, therefore there is a possibillity that it is short of gas. check evap frost all the way through first before replacing the stat.

Which of the 2 compartments is freezing: the refrigerator or the freezer?.

Jerry

Babs_devilangel Guest

Hi Jerry,

It's the fridge that keeps freezing, we know how to get to the thermostat, it is where the end of the capillary tube on the thermostat itself is attached to, it runs out of a hole in the refrigerator under the cover of the cowl of the thermostat in the refrigerator area but feel the frosting up in the fridge is either because the end of the capillary has become detached from the evaporator or the thermostat is U/S, it's where that the capillary goes to on the Hotpoint RFA52 and its attachment point as the wet wall area in the fridge is sealed, the top of the refrigerator is spot welded and filled with expanding foam, if there is any pipe work in that area, then obviously it's going to be a nightmare to service, obviously Hotpoint don't manufacture things that are a nightmare to service (they leave that to Indesit lol) so hopefully someone can point us in the right direction. Any help would really be appreciated, many thanks Barbara