Ariston fridge freezer problems

I hope someone can help? The day I went on holiday I noticed there was ice on the rear wall of the fridge section of the fridge freezer, I scraped it off and went away! On my return after a week, the freezer had de-frosted everything, the fridge was warm and the it does not appear to be making any sort of noise (there is power as the light goes on).
    It is an Ariston OKAF3100 ( could be OKRF) built in fridge freezer, it must be at least 8 years old, is there any way to save it, or has it had it's day? I would be grateful for some advice.

Re: Ariston fridge freezer problems

There is a chance that you punctured the evaporator (back panel) when you scraped the ice off...letting the refrigerant escape....

You need an engineer to identify the problem I'm afraid

Or check the thermostat
    check out my website www.airkooldomestics.co.uk

I guess it is possible I punctured the back panel although i did use a plastic spatula. the thermostat was replaced a year and a half ago, could it go again so quickly? my concern is there is absolutely no sign of life?

michaelberg1138 Guest

If it is a frost-free model, your evaporator is iced up. You either have a bad evaporator fan motor, bad defrost element, bad defrost terminator or bad defrost time clock. Don't condemn it yet, unplug it and wait a day until it fully defrosts, plug it back in and troubleshoot it further. By the way, NEVER use a tool to defrost any fridge or freezer. Put a bowl of warm water in it or set up a fan to cirulate room air into it if you need to speed up the defrosting process.

I don't think it it is a frost free model, the freezer always had ice in it. it has been unplugged for 4 days now, i will plug it in again tonight and see what happens. thank you

Plugged it back in, no sign of life? Just the light, might have to bite the bullet and buy a new one?

Bypass the thermostat and see if it kicks into life
    check out my website www.airkooldomestics.co.uk

thank you, how would i do that?

Sheepdog Guest

2 maybe 3 wires go to the thermostat, if 3 1 is probably an earth, coloured green/yellow, the other 2 are the switch, 1st check the switch unit unplugged, turn it min to max if you hear a click possibly ok. If you have a test meter, or battery and light bulb, connect across the terminals, if it turns on/off switch working. OR you could try as above, and bypass the switch, by connecting the 2 wires together. AGAIN, make sure unit unplugged when you do it, then with them still connected, switch on, If unit starts faulty termostat. Still dead. Well, could be gas escaped or compressor fault. Either way, engineer job.

A bit risky advising a novice householder to play with 240volts?

For your own safety, either get a professional in or bite the bullet and buy a new one. Safer option than electrocution

Ok thank you, i am confident trying most things but I don't mess with electrics, i prob will get a new one, just so much trouble as it's built in!