Driers blocking on Cornelius bottle cabinets

Don't know if anyone else has come across the same problem on similar equipment but I've found that after cleaning blocked air-cooled condensers on Cornelius Statesman (2-door upright) bottle coolers about a week later about 25% come back in with blocked driers. The systems are still factory sealed & the driers are the spun copper type. Any theories?

Re: Driers blocking on Cornelius bottle cabinets

Hi Phil68

Yes, it's a common problem. Condensers get blocked, oil gets cooked and blockages start.

No way round it just the joys of R134a. Reclaim the gas and cut the drier out. Get a service drier with a service valve attachment (NRS 692438) fit cap tube end but leave other end sealed. Use service port to blow through with OFN. If system really stinks you may have to change cap tube as well but if not too bad cut off other end and fit to discharge side.

It's not just cornelius statesman, most R134 units tend to block if overheated. Just another thing on these, if the condenser is completly blocked double check the fans. Once the condenser is clear and the fan is having to work it is quite common for these to seize.

Regards

Fatboy

Quote Originally Posted by phil68
    Don't know if anyone else has come across the same problem on similar equipment but I've found that after cleaning blocked air-cooled condensers on Cornelius Statesman (2-door upright) bottle coolers about a week later about 25% come back in with blocked driers. The systems are still factory sealed & the driers are the spun copper type. Any theories?

Phil,

As Fatboy says..........its R134............ And its common to all makes with copper spun driers

This is what I do

I use normal core type filters, Danfoss is my prefferred type, I change gas to R413b, I cut off a couple inches of capillary tubing..........and thats the last I hear of it
    Any opinions, statements and facts expressed in this message do not constitute legal advice in any shape or form and is given for a general outlook in nature. You are advised to seek appropriate and specific professional assistance from a regulated and authorised advisor for definitive advice.

Quote Originally Posted by Aiyub
    Phil,

As Fatboy says..........its R134............ And its common to all makes with copper spun driers

This is what I do

I use normal core type filters, Danfoss is my prefferred type, I change gas to R413b, I cut off a couple inches of capillary tubing..........and thats the last I hear of it
    S'funny you should say that, I've been replacing the spun driers with the smallest available steel-bodied driers for quite a while now (given up with the spun ones) & not had any trouble since either. I put it down to the larger filtering capacity meaning that they won't block so readily. Thanx for the replies.
    Noah had to leave the dinosaurs behind as they would've sunk the boat.