Thread: NH3 Pipe Sizing

NH3 Pipe Sizing

Engineers out there.
    Anyone who has free design guidelines on ammonia refrigeration plant pipe sizing either Single Stage or Two Stage flooded systems with NH3 pumps. Will appreciate.

Re: NH3 Pipe Sizing

Hi, ALFONSOTHAWE

Quote Originally Posted by ALFONSOTHAWE View Post
    Engineers out there.
    Anyone who has free design guidelines on ammonia refrigeration plant pipe sizing either Single Stage or Two Stage flooded systems with NH3 pumps. Will appreciate.
    you can download Danfoss DirCalc here ...ftp://software.danfoss.com/RA/DirCalc/DirCalc.zip

then you have CoolPack here http://www.ipu.dk/upload/teknologiud...lpack_1.50.exe

then you have some on-line pipe calculators like this one ... but you have to register ...http://www.r717.com

then brochures ...
    http://www.hantech.com/library/pdfs/shut-off/g309.pdf

http://www.evapco.eu/sites/evapco.eu...131-e_0706.pdf

There are a lot of suggestions on internet ... just Google ... ammonia ... steel pipe ... sizing ...

Hope this is of some help to you...

Best regards, Josip

It's impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenious...

Don't ever underestimate the power of stupid people when they are in large groups.

Please, don't teach me how to be stupid....
    No job is as important as to jeopardize the safety of you or those that you work with.

dear Friend
    thank you for your information, if you know any software to optimize the cycle and improve COP also mentioned it here.

Regards.

Thanks Josip. I have one question. Since Danfoss DIRcalc has templates single evaporator system if I want to have multiple evaporator e.g 5 each delivering 30 kW of capacity how do u work out pipe sizing. Do you add all evap capacity and when it gives design size result on piping do you divide that into 5 or there is another method.

Hi, ALFONSOTHAWE

Quote Originally Posted by ALFONSOTHAWE View Post
    Thanks Josip. I have one question. Since Danfoss DIRcalc has templates single evaporator system if I want to have multiple evaporator e.g 5 each delivering 30 kW of capacity how do u work out pipe sizing. Do you add all evap capacity and when it gives design size result on piping do you divide that into 5 or there is another method.
    of course you must calculate your pipe for the biggest load ... It is simple and not ... for each pipe branch you calculate your full load capacity ... then work out pipe size .... you put together (add) each branch load and you calculate your header for full load, but as evaporators are installed apart each other, then after each evaporator your header must be increased in size for added load ... normally we always start from the last room coming back to engine room .... but there are some other points to consider in pipe sizing .... very important is parallel work of cold rooms, compressors, condensers, then type of cold rooms fresh or frozen goods and here we are coming into deep water ... design of cold store what is not possible to explain here ....

Hope this is of some help ...

Best regards, Josip

It's impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenious...

Don't ever underestimate the power of stupid people when they are in large groups.

Please, don't teach me how to be stupid....
    No job is as important as to jeopardize the safety of you or those that you work with.