IanCun Guest

GC2224GEKB Fridge not working / Leaking

Hi Guys,

I've got an Admiral GC2224GEKB side-by-side fridge, which we took ownership of when we moved house. I guess it must be 7 years old (as that's the age of the house).

Every 10 days or so, the fridge seems to stop cooling properly, the temperature rises to around 10C. The freezer seems to still work (but I don't know if it's cold enough).

I took a look behind the freezer panel and the coils were all frozen up, so the first time I left it to defrost for a day... then the fridge worked great. Subsequent times, I've just melted the ice off with a hairdryer and then it works again.

Also, up until a few weeks ago, the fridge/freezer would also leak a big puddle on the floor occasionally. I presume this must be the auto-defrost or something.

I took a look at the tray in the bottom, and it wasn't full and the water tube from the bottom of the freezer was sitting in it correctly (so I guess it's overflowing, cracked or coming from somewhere else).

Is this a fix I can do myself, or if I do get an engineer out is it something that would be cost effective to fix? I'm concerned that it may cost a few hundred to repair a 7 year old fridge, so may be better to bite the bullet and get a new one?

Any help you can give would be much appreciated!

BTW, in case it helps - the Icemaker/panel also doesn't work properly (just two flashing lights)... but that's not as important as the rest!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: GC2224GEKB Fridge not working / Leaking

Defrost heater
    check out my website www.airkooldomestics.co.uk

IanCun Guest

Quote Originally Posted by tonto33 View Post
    Defrost heater
    Would that be the defrost heater not working? Is there anything I can do to test/repair it ?

check for continuity with multimeter

IanCun Guest

I'm afraid I'm not familiar with Fridges - where abouts would the defrost heater be? Is it on the attached photo?

yes it at bottom

IanCun Guest

Hi tonto33, could you clarify where the heater element is please as I can't see it?