Lightbulb Solar Hybrid A/C's

Hi This Question is about the Solar Hybrid Units that are beginning to pop up around the ridges. The ones I'm talking about are the cheap looking DOL units with the heat exchanger in a water tank. Can someone please explain the fundamentals of how the hell these units are supposed to gain a 80% lower running cost then a conventional inverter system???

Re: Solar Hybrid A/C's

Got a brand name?

Quote Originally Posted by MikeHolm View Post
    Got a brand name?
    Yes MikeHolm solair world

If done right there can be some savings. It looks, from the website, like it is just a double coil tank with a standard glycol pump system. The HP might dump heat into the tank but it doesn't look like it uses the solar water as its heat source. I may be wrong though......

The air conditioner system runs in extreme hard conditions: from -150C to 550C
    damn it's good!

Quote Originally Posted by r.bartlett View Post
    damn it's good!
    And I am willing to sell you the Brooklyn Bridge for only $50k. A real steel

So they r crap??? lol

It is not easy to marry a HP to solar with any real efficiency over what you would get with solar and the Hp separately. It can be done but putting in statements like running from -150 to 550C, as master bartlett has stated, just show the BS that some companies spout. i don't trust anyone who says things like that.

What I see is a cheap Chinese split with a tank and hot water panels. IF (big if), there is some way that the refrigerant has a path to take heat from the tank or dump heat to the tank AND the HX in the tank is designed to take R410A pressures (which they typically are not), then you might be able to do something.
    Last edited by MikeHolm; 02-09-2012 at 04:51 PM.

I did some reading on these systems because I though that in my local climate they might be a good option.

I have a question please. There's a system shown here that has the liquid and suction lines running directly into the solar evaporator. If the evaporator reaches a temperature of say 70 Celsius on a warm day, how do they control the superheat in the system to stop it destroying the compressor?

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Frikkie View Post
    I did some reading on these systems because I though that in my local climate they might be a good option.

I have a question please. There's a system shown here that has the liquid and suction lines running directly into the solar evaporator. If the evaporator reaches a temperature of say 70 Celsius on a warm day, how do they control the superheat in the system to stop it destroying the compressor?

Thanks.
    Absolute sales crap! COP 3 at -15C ambient and 55C water, I think not, "no" I will say I know not!

Hi Mad Fridgie, I see you are not convinced with this system. I assume they give these figures to try to qualify for subsidies etc. Being an African the COP numbers don't mean much here. I was interested on the technical side of how you would control the superheat on such a system to allow it to run reliable.