rollandelliott Guest

What is the most effcinet R22 replacement product for residential HVAC systems?

I did a search and the last thread about this topic is 2 years old. Hopefully there have been some improvements in refrigerant replacements during this time, or at least more wisdom gained from the school of hard knocks:

I'm a home owner who just paid a $450 repair bill for adding 2 lbs of R22 and some leak stop product to a 17 year old HVAC system

I'd like to keep the system going as long as possible and since R22 is being phased out. I am wondering what the most efficient replacement is? Honeywell claims their R-407C is the best. I currently have a 3 ton Trane XE11000 SEER 11 condensing unit split with a gas furnace in the attic in the South East USA. Summer AC bills run around $200. How much money would I save by switching to a more efficient refrigerant?
    there are the ones I've found by doing some research; perhaps there is an even better one?
    Dupont ICEION MO-99 r-417a
    NU22B
    22a
    Honeywell Genetron 407C (R-407C) or Genetron 422D (R-422D)

Brian_UK is offline Moderator I am starting to push the Mods: of RE Site Moderator : and general nice guy

Re: What is the most effcinet R22 replacement product for residential HVAC systems?

I have had good results with the R417a in the past and it is a direct drop-in so no oil changes required.
    Brian - Newton Abbot, Devon, UK
    Retired March 2015

Re: What is the most effcinet R22 replacement product for residential HVAC systems?

Sticking with R22 is probably the most effiecient for your system, its what its designed for.

There are two routes (three if you count system replacemnt) to R22 replacement, refrigerants that will run ok with the systems existing mineral oil and refrigerants that need the oil changing for synthetic.

'Drop ins' like R422D and R417A will run with mineral (or alkylbenzine) oils typical in R22 equipment. They are relatively simple to change the system to, the expansion devices might need changing as well, but, and its a big but, you will lose not gain efficiency, anything up to 30%, with the typical American style ducted systems that are sized to run pretty much non stop in the hottest days this will lead to it not cooling enough, and in cooler weather it will run longer and use more electric.

HFC refrigerants such as R407C (and R410A that a new system would have) need synthetic oil (typically polyolester) as they won't mix with mineral types of lubricant, using HFC's would lead to failure of the compressor due to poor oil return from the evaportor (oil goes round system with refrigerant) if the oil wasn't changed. So your system would likely need an oil change or three to run with R407C, You will still lose efficiency. I don't much like R407C, i would not purchase or specify equipment containing it for myself or my customers, this is just my personal opinion of it.

The only R22 replacement that looks a good match performance wise is R407F otherwise known as Genetron Performax (i guess they think we are all dumb so it needs a fancy name or we won't use it...) Have a look into the specs. The system will still need a oil change or three.

Good luck finding a tech willing to try a conversion!

Brian beat me to it! must type quickerer!
    Mostly found in Oxfordshire, UK :)

I recharged my split system air conditioner with a propane based product four years ago and it has worked perfectly ever since. The information below come from the suppliers website.

On a hot day, the air conditioner is the biggest consumer of power in a building. By switching to HR22/502, power bills can be dramatically reduced, and the wear and tear on the air conditioning system can also be minimised.

HyChill HR22/502 is the Natural Organic solution for low temperature refrigeration and air-conditioning systems previously charged with HCFC R22 or CFC R502.
    HR22/502 is a direct replacement, which means no new parts or equipment (retro-fitting) are required when changing refrigerant gases other than general service items.
    An air conditioner or refrigeration system charged with HR22/502 uses up to 20% less power than HCFC-based refrigerants. Because hydrocarbon refrigerant is more efficient, it can cool a room down to the temperature set by the thermostat in less time. In hot weather, this can result in substantial energy savings.

This is their web page:
    http://www.hychill.com.au/products/

The biggest advantage of this refrigerant beside it's low price is that it does not harm the atmosphere in any way. I presume it would be available in USA

Lightbulb Re: What is the most effcinet R22 replacement product for residential HVAC systems?

Since the HyChill HR22 is propane, right? you would have to be very sure you didn't have any leaks, or you could have an explosion I presume, especially if you have a leak near the air handler which sits on top of the furnace!!

replacement refrigerants such as R-134a, -404A, -407C, -410A, -417A, and -507 are pretty good replacement as suggested by many refrigerant manufacturer

[QUOTE=kiamaian;264420]I recharged my split system air conditioner with a propane based product four years ago and it has worked perfectly ever since. The information below come from the suppliers website.

On a hot day, the air conditioner is the biggest consumer of power in a building. By switching to HR22/502, power bills can be dramatically reduced, and the wear and tear on the air conditioning system can also be minimised.

HyChill HR22/502 is the Natural Organic solution for low temperature refrigeration and air-conditioning systems previously charged with HCFC R22 or CFC R502.
    HR22/502 is a direct replacement, which means no new parts or equipment (retro-fitting) are required when changing refrigerant gases other than general service items.
    An air conditioner or refrigeration system charged with HR22/502 uses up to 20% less power than HCFC-based refrigerants. Because hydrocarbon refrigerant is more efficient, it can cool a room down to the temperature set by the thermostat in less time. In hot weather, this can result in substantial energy savings.

This is their web page:
    http://www.hychill.com.au/products/

The biggest advantage of this refrigerant beside it's low price is that it does not harm the atmosphere in any way. I presume it would be available in USA

Really.....seriously? Do you work for Hychill, another fool advising a dangerous practice.