Whats happened to Daikin?

Over the last year they seemed to have dropped in standards we have had over 20 burst condenser coils on new server room applications, the waiting time for spares and technical hotline takes forever, i have just been told that i can not get a condenser coil for min of 5 weeks for a server room application!!! its just really bad is anyone else experiencing the same or do they just not like me?

Re: Whats happened to Daikin?

not worth changing the coil as the sog will put strain on the compressor plus you get 3 years warranty on the whole condensing unit rather than 1 year on the condenser and the time to swap is 1/4

a no brainer to me at least

yeah but they wont give me a new condenser just because a coil has gone, all these coils are under warranty if they werent and the client was paying then yes changing the whole unit is best option but unfortunatley its not a option

Yep ive replaced numerous coils on daikin this last year, seem to be bottom Right hand side of coil looking from the front face of the outdoor unit.

3 fail last year two at moment and now we have a issue with one at mo and 4 weeks wait so i threw me toys out the pram and they are meant to be sending a condensing unit we also stop buying non warranty parts of daikin and deal with space now where we get service from 2003 and those lovely 407c units its been downhill for them as far as i am concerned

fitted 15 roundflow 71 units, only had 1 fail- was fitted 5 yr ago- not had authorisation for the repair so it may be my flares- was tested at 40 bar when comissioned.
    had a rzq100 fail on the bottom row of the condenser in the middle- reblobbed it and all ok,was 3 month ago.
    had a rzq125 fail on a red cable rubbed through against the suction line as it enters the accumulator- blobbed it,still working, on another note, used to have mitsi r22,407c units fail on discharge line off compressor where the pipe sensor plugs in, if you replaced the pipe it failed again, if you blobbed it then no problems-used to occur after 18 months from install

Quote Originally Posted by charlie patt View Post
    3 fail last year two at moment and now we have a issue with one at mo and 4 weeks wait so i threw me toys out the pram and they are meant to be sending a condensing unit we also stop buying non warranty parts of daikin and deal with space now where we get service from 2003 and those lovely 407c units its been downhill for them as far as i am concerned
    I have a site with 5 out of 30 units from 2007 with failed condensers...

When I was at Fridgtech we had a spate of coils split and we -Marc and I- had a sit down with Neil and one of his oppo's. Neil went through all the stats to show that there wasn't an issue and Daikin Europe were in denial. DUK privately admitted there was an issue but Europe wide the numbers as a percentage were below their trigger point hence the denial. We still had one which was faulty and we agreed that we would test it. They were adamant it was an installer issue. We showed it had failed due to a manufacturing fault. From that moment Space ignored our phone calls and emails .... So in all honesty they can be as bad as DUK.

Driving along I came to the same conclusion. Daikin lost the plot when they went from 22 to 407c. They survive by pouring more and more into marketing and less into manufacturing. I believe it was due to LG entering the market and driving down price the market has never recovered from what LG did. Daikin et al responded by 'decontenting' (a phrase from the car industry ) sadly they were not as good as the other manufacturers and couldn't hold reliability. Sadly daikin are all about chasing the numbers (D1 is leveraged on sales not quality) and not giving customer service. Their helpline is a complete mess. Not that Annie R would do a feature on it but it puts British Gas to shame with a minimum 20 minute "your call is important to us" They have reduced call centre headcount mixed the staff around and left customers high and dry.

Some of the tech guy's are among the best but are run ragged. Of course the tech helpline is straight off the bottom line so I assume it's not important enough to fund properly.

In all honesty if the CFO is happy Japan really couldn’t give a stuff.

lennox coils were of poor quality too, 407c baltic rooftop range, the r22 l box and the 407c linear- all very problematic with tubes failing as the exit the steel end plate.

Daikin admitted that the coils are faulty to us apparantly the holes where the u bends goe through are not big enough so when the pipe expands and contracts it rubs against the metal and cause it to burst, they were sending us replacement coils and a year later they were going as well. They are now sending improved coils out but it remains to be seen if they are any good. They tried making out it was our fault to start off with and sent a "Daikin Engineer" out with us but he was just a engineer form a local company wtf.
    My opinion is Mitsi have took over them in the quality and customer service, put it this way i will no longer be pricing for Daikin kit

I ordered a condenser coil for an older system on 15th august and they still cant give me a delivery date.

Quote Originally Posted by stargirl View Post
    I ordered a condenser coil for an older system on 15th august and they still cant give me a delivery date.

Nice to see they muck D1's about as much as the rest of us !

need to swap out 2 x 35 std cassettes we had delivered for 2x 35 600sq indoor units as since we were first on site the lighting layout has got much busier and the larger units won't fit the ceiling grid layout.

daikin £90.00 + 20% restocking charge

be careful what you order!

ubersonic Guest

If I remember right Daikin are now working in partnership with Chinese manufacturer GREE in some areas with GREE making some Daikin parts/units, I can't remember all the in's/out's as I only glanced the press release but could be connected?

Barry Hawkes Guest

Your experience with Daikin seems to be rather common. We too have had simular problems with comms rooms only to be told the spares are 5weeks delivery!
    How the hell can you tell your client this, it puts the blame on the installer/service company.

Daikin need to sort it out.
    Also have you been told that 5 year warranties are no longer valid!!!! Talk about pull the rug out from your feet.

Daikin POOR POOR POOR

Barry Hawkes Guest

Contractor gets an out of the blue call from an end user who has a faulty VRV system, its been installed for a number of years.
    Contractor advises customer that he can inspect the system but its likely he will need to call the manufacturer's engineer in.
    As suspected,after his initial visit it is agreed that the end user will pay for the engineer to visit the site, taking his laptop/service checker.

After the visit the manufacturers engineer writes a report and provides my client with a quote for the parts needed.
    and here is where the fun starts..................

My man agrees costs with his client and parts are ordered
    he goes to site with said parts only to discover they are wrong..
    he phones the manufacturer and advises them that they have sent the wrong parts, only to be told
    "No they are the correct parts" says the girl on the phone
    my man then proceeds to explain that although they are correct against the invoice and delivery note
    they are for the wrong unit..
    The girl on the phone then says" then its your fault you have ordered the wrong bits"
    now with steam pouring out of every orifice my man explains that their engineer had sent the quote
    and it was down to them to swap the parts over and give him the correct parts.
    Girl on the phone says...
    " we can swap them over but there will be a 20% restock fee"
    You can imagine how the poor contractor was feeling like at this point and it gets worst..
    Girl at the other end is adamant there will be a restock fee and just to add injury
    the cost of the correct parts is twice what the original quote..
    He then phones his rep ( poor rep! ) and explains the problem, and to be fair the rep agrees to
    waive the restock fee,but he wont move on the cost of the new parts.
    Now for the finale of the story, you ready.....

Poor contractor eventually gets fed up waiting for a response from the supplier and
    calls them himself, asking whats happening, at this point he is told..
    "We can supply the correct parts however you have spent too much money with us this month
    and are up to your credit limit, you will have to clear some of your account"
    he is then told that they cannot increase his credit limit unless he writes in with an official letter requesting the increase..

meanwhile the end user has no heating..

I am interested to know if anyone else has experienced this type of problem.

We started up the first of the new systems today and the consultant was on site to inspect/pass the system for payment etc.

I rocked up at 2.00pm and the first thing he said to me was "I have just been speaking to your engineer and he's put me right off Daikin. I was about to specify them on a large VRF project but there is no way I am now..."

I told him Daikin were living on the past when competition didn't affect them.However he stated the industry was changing and they -consultants- now realised that Daikin isn't the be all and end all..

It's changing and slowly but surely Daikin will see their supposed number one status fall away whilst the bean counters carry on oblivious to the damage they have done with their 'internal restructuring and staff realignment' project

'internal restructuring and staff realignment' project.

Not many that have not been tainted by this disease!

We are struggling to maintain 5 year old systems (Not Daikin) as the are no longer supported?
    Who says that manufacturers can get away with this?

Keep talking about these issues guys.

It makes manufacturers twitch!
    Grizzly

I think you will find a few of the big manufacturers are very much the same as Daikin, too many Suits and "blue sky thinking" going on for my liking.

hookster is offline Veteran Poster I am starting to push the Mods: of RE

What has happened to Daikin! same thing as what has happened to Danfoss! Production has moved to China!

5 Weeks is the lead time for a shipment from China! There is less and less parts being stored as they are money sitting on the shelf.
    Last edited by hookster; 24-02-2013 at 11:05 AM. Reason: addition
    I love the smell of Ammonia in the morning!

I hear the new VRV IV whilst it has a fancy new LCD display, as it stands can't show real time monitoring of the system?