2006 Budget/Van TAX

has the chancellor cained us with a new tax on van's, have not caught it on the news , do we know when he will?

was told it's gonna be 1500 plus

Re: 2006 Budget/Van TAX

Quote Originally Posted by evaporator
    has the chancellor cained us with a new tax on van's, have not caught it on the news , do we know when he will?

was told it's gonna be 1500 plus
    Just wondering if we as fridge/AC engs. would get special dispensation because we need our vans when we're on call Or maybe get a reduction in tax in proportion to the amount of time we're on call, say if you're on call 1 week in 4 you'd get a 25% reduction

Quote Originally Posted by phil68
    Just wondering if we as fridge/AC engs. would get special dispensation because we need our vans when we're on call Or maybe get a reduction in tax in proportion to the amount of time we're on call, say if you're on call 1 week in 4 you'd get a 25% reduction
    hi phil
    frank sugested it may be possible and andy w suggested the company registers them as pool vehicles, all the options should start appearing as soon as everyone realises whats going on(i hope)
    Shushhhhh!!! it seems to be working now

Quote Originally Posted by evaporator
    hi phil
    frank sugested it may be possible and andy w suggested the company registers them as pool vehicles, all the options should start appearing as soon as everyone realises whats going on(i hope)
    Hi Evaporator, I'd be a bit dubious about registering the vans as pool vehicles. In the early 90's the accountant for the company I was working for at the time did the same for our company cars & then the Inland Revenue caught up with him & made us pay 3 years worth of company car tax in 1 year on top of our normal years worth (4 years worth in 1 year in effect) & I'd just bought my first house at that time. I had the argument that the company should've covered it but they wouldn't play ball. To say I was spitting feathers would be an understatement. The tax man ain't silly

Quote Originally Posted by phil68
    Hi Evaporator, I'd be a bit dubious about registering the vans as pool vehicles. In the early 90's the accountant for the company I was working for at the time did the same for our company cars & then the Inland Revenue caught up with him & made us pay 3 years worth of company car tax in 1 year on top of our normal years worth (4 years worth in 1 year in effect) & I'd just bought my first house at that time. I had the argument that the company should've covered it but they wouldn't play ball. To say I was spitting feathers would be an understatement. The tax man ain't silly
    cheers phil
    best we forget about pool vehicles then
    4 in 1 very harsh but thats the tax man for you

As I understand, the van tax will be in excess of around £3700 per annum;which is an incredible increase.
    I am going to start taking the bus!!

regards
    Jase

This was spoken about at least 8 years ago, the general feelings were companies would have to put hourly rates up to cover the increase, or as reps were doing at the time, purchase your own vehicle and charge the company for the mileage and use of it, companies were also allowed to give you as an individual a contribution towards a vehicle, best to seek the advice of an accountant.

if you put down that you work from home and you have access to a car for private mileage (one you are insured to drive )with your companies agreement it would be hard to prove otherwise which would make the tax zero £
    to cover your *rse if you are ever stopped then you would be attending a call

Will be estate cars all round then . Thought that tax on vans was going to be done on co level same as the cars? Trouble is if you have a big transit van 2.5 diesel it will cost more than the supervisors estate car . Got rid of my van 5 years ago, estate car since then. Get ever thing delivered and collected from site by HRP etc.

nice one andy .... i think we could all do with a nice raise in wages... coutesy of the tax-man... and then the overtime rate would really be tempting again....