Question Need Urgent Help

dear all
    we have a 70TR water cooled water chiller installed in an particle board industry to cool down the machines.in pakistan we have a svere load shedding problem.therefore if chiller turned off for some time the chilled water temprature becomes 40 to 45 deg c.for chiller it is very difficult to overcome this temprature.therefore i want to use a buffer zone in the chilled water circut.a 10*4*15cft underground water tank is available to me.i want to cool down the water tank and using this water tank i want to cool down the machines.in this way underground water tank will act like a buffer zone.

my approach is ok or having some problem?

It depends on how you configure the tank.

If you use it for single flow through (the water leaves the chiller and pass through the tank to the machines but the return goes from the machines straight to the chiller, or the other way around) it will become a buffer, that evens out temperature variations within the system.

If you use it for double flow through (both supply and return pass through the tank) it will become a mixing chamber and the supply water temperature to your machines will rise.

The best option would be if the tank could be split in half by installing a "wall" in the middle of it (normally ending about 1-2" below the surface, allowing for balance of water levels). Your chiller would supply water to the chamber that feeds the machinery, the water from the machines would be feed in to the other chamber which would feed the return to the chiller.
    This setup allows the water flows to be independent of each other (2 pump sets are needed), when the water temp is too high the flow to the chiller could be temporarily reduced to help the chiller cope with the load.

Re: Need Urgent Help

thanx mr viking.....
    yes the partitioning is a gud option

ok how to calculate the size of water tank?

Have your considered using a closed circuit / dry cooler cooling tower to knock the bulk of heat out of the water loop before starting the chiller, will depend on ambient wet buld condition.

Another option is to use a single tank without a baffle where the pipe work configuration in the tank is set up so the suction of the chiller is directly under the return from the machines with about 500 mm between pipes and the outlet of the chiller is directly over the suction for the machines at the same distance apart.
    We use this system a lot for brine chilling and it seems to work well.
    Paul