How long Do Thermo King reefers Last

I just bought a reefer truck with a MD-II-SR reefer unit. The system says it has a little over 9900 hours on the engine. every thing runs great I ran the system for a few hours and got the temp down to 10 F. More then cold enough for my fresh Farm Veggies. My question is this what is the expected running hours of the system? Should I start saving for a rebuild or replacement unit soon?

Re: How long Do Thermo King reefers Last

It all depends on how the unit has been serviced in the past and what kind of service regime you have in place for the future.
    The engines can easily see 25000 hrs. providing they are looked after.
    Like all they have their problems but generally can be a very long life unit, much better than Carrier

Just remember that maintenance doesn't just mean oil, filter and belt changes. As the hours mount up you should expect to overhaul major components to keep it running at it's best.

Good luck,
    djbe.

Thank you for taking the time to answer my question. You are very helpful.

The MD-II SR units are good units and as djbe has mentioned, they will last well provided they're looked after.
    The engine is manufactured by Yanmar for Thermo King, whilst the compressor is Thermo King (either D214 or X214 depending on oil pump config). The SR (Smart Reefer) version simply means that it's a lot more automated than the standard MAX variant.
    Naturally, it's life will also depend on other things like product and use.
    What part of the US are you from?

I live in Nevada about 150 miles from Las Vegas. I am a small Veggie Farmer that is expanding business to take product to Las Vegas high end restaurants and whole Foods Market.

The other guy talked about more maintains then just oil and filter changes what else need to be done to keep the system running well for a long time.

I like Yanmar they make some of John Deeres engines too, JD would not use them if they were not good engines.

The best thing to do is find someone who knows how to look after these things as apposed to someone who THINKS they know how to look after them....ask around, i alays tell my customers T/K...Carrier both very much the same its how well they are looked after that makes them a good unit

G'day moggy, how's life in Eatsern Canada these days?

Yes; the Yanmar engines are a good motor. Moggy's right regarding having it served by someone who knows what they're doing. I deal with a lot a of guys over there, some of whom are with dealers and some who are independent. Let me know your email address on the message service and I'll see who's in your area.
    With regard to maintenance, there's the basic maintenance of oil and filters which can be done by a good diesel mechanic, but then there's the annual maintenance on the refrigeration system which should be done by a good refrigeration technician (preferably someone who specializes in transport equipment).

I've been in the transport refrigeration industry for nearly 30years and always happy to help where I can.

Please let me know if you any specific information about the unit.

Best regards; Tony

Thanks for all the help and advice you have given me. I live way out in the county or out back as you may put it in Australia. We do a lot of work on our equipment our selves. We order supplies over the internet and off we go working on what ever we need to do. So I am trying to get an idea what need to be done other then oil and filter changes. When we first got the unit a belt broke we got a belt and took it a part and changed the belt. I don't have a place to have it worked on right close. When I make deliveries to Las Vegas there is a Themo King dealer there but that is not much help if it breaks up there I am. Please if you can give me more information on what an yearly service would be. Thanks

As Moggy & Tony have mentioned you need to try to find someone who knows transport equipment to give it the once over occasionally.
    As a farmer I am sure you are pretty resourceful and look after machinery that you may have on the farm. So keep an eye on the belts for correct tension and signs of excessive wear. Check the fanshaft bearings, engine/ compressor idler pulley bearings and electric motor or jackshaft bearings periodically. Just spin them freely and listen, use your judgement, it is easier to change a bearing before the damage occurs.
    Check for coolant and oil leaks.
    Clean out the gauze filter in the fuel pump, you would not believe the number of units I see over here previously serviced by main dealers that have clogged fuel pump filters.
    Open the control panel, check for rubbed wires and burnt connections, they do happen.
    Disconnect the battery, remove and check the levels. At the same time check the alternator brushes and slipring for excessive wear.
    Visually check for damp oil patches on the refrigeration pipework, it could indicate a leak. You should have the filter drier in the refrigeration system changed periodically (one for the experts, as is checking refrigerant charge and compressor oil level).
    In the load area you will see a flap in the air outlet aperture, this is the defrost damper. Pull it down by hand and check it returns freely. Look at either end of this flap you will see that it runs in nylon bushes. If they are worn oval their is a danger the flap will stick down after defrost they are cheap to buy and relatively easy to replace.
    Check engine mount rubbers, generally check for loose components etc.
    I am sure I have skipped some things that I do automatically but hopefully this helps?

regards,
    djbe.

Thank you Very helpful! You guys are great!

Quote Originally Posted by djbe View Post
    As Moggy & Tony have mentioned you need to try to find someone who knows transport equipment to give it the once over occasionally.
    As a farmer I am sure you are pretty resourceful and look after machinery that you may have on the farm. So keep an eye on the belts for correct tension and signs of excessive wear. Check the fanshaft bearings, engine/ compressor idler pulley bearings and electric motor or jackshaft bearings periodically. Just spin them freely and listen, use your judgement, it is easier to change a bearing before the damage occurs.
    Check for coolant and oil leaks.
    Clean out the gauze filter in the fuel pump, you would not believe the number of units I see over here previously serviced by main dealers that have clogged fuel pump filters.
    Open the control panel, check for rubbed wires and burnt connections, they do happen.
    Disconnect the battery, remove and check the levels. At the same time check the alternator brushes and slipring for excessive wear.
    Visually check for damp oil patches on the refrigeration pipework, it could indicate a leak. You should have the filter drier in the refrigeration system changed periodically (one for the experts, as is checking refrigerant charge and compressor oil level).
    In the load area you will see a flap in the air outlet aperture, this is the defrost damper. Pull it down by hand and check it returns freely. Look at either end of this flap you will see that it runs in nylon bushes. If they are worn oval their is a danger the flap will stick down after defrost they are cheap to buy and relatively easy to replace.
    Check engine mount rubbers, generally check for loose components etc.
    I am sure I have skipped some things that I do automatically but hopefully this helps?

regards,
    djbe.
    That's an excellent reply djbe.......

I need more help guys. I live 200 mile away from the nearest TK repair location.(Las Vegas). Last time I was in there I showed up in the afternoon and they could not see me until morning and they do not make appointments. Okay so I stayed at a friends house and got up early was the first one there 7:10 am. They did not take my truck in to the bay until noon checked it out said some one had messed with some wiring. Fix the wiring looks like only a few wires were replaced charged me $330.00 and got me out of there at 4pm. I feel raped! Got it home and stopped working again. Went to see them again early in morning they could not see me again for at least another day. I figured out it was my fuel pump in about 20 mins. Bought a new one replaced it and what do you know it worked. Came home again changed fuel, oil, and air filters. Now the damn thing will only run when it wants to. It seems no fuel is getting to the engine. No smoke no indication that there is fuel getting to the injectors. Fuel pump is running. I ran a priming cycle. Fuel pump is working fine. The first time I ran the priming cycle it started right up. Let if run for about 45 mins then let if set for an hour or so and it would not start. Ran the priming cycle again thinking air is getting in some how. Still will not start. Went to do my deliveries in Vegas with my cooling trailer and tryed to start the cooler again and it worked let it run for a bit turned it off again let it set for a while and it would not start again. I am not getting any error codes but the 20 (engine failed to start). Please help me.

did you fit the correct pump,maybe it needs a check valve in the fuel line could the fuel be running back when you turn it off?

i have seen Ultima XTC units on rail with over 25000hrs on CT4-134-DI, tier2 yanmars still have the head gasket issue and front seal oil leaks, but i'm biased, i think the new Precident is rubbish, they've gone away from the original SBII layout, that was bullet proof! TK truck are fidly to maintain, the supra is much superior, but with all of them, if their not looked after they breakdown.

Quote Originally Posted by beekper View Post
    I need more help guys. I live 200 mile away from the nearest TK repair location.(Las Vegas). Last time I was in there I showed up in the afternoon and they could not see me until morning and they do not make appointments. Okay so I stayed at a friends house and got up early was the first one there 7:10 am. They did not take my truck in to the bay until noon checked it out said some one had messed with some wiring. Fix the wiring looks like only a few wires were replaced charged me $330.00 and got me out of there at 4pm. I feel raped! Got it home and stopped working again. Went to see them again early in morning they could not see me again for at least another day. I figured out it was my fuel pump in about 20 mins. Bought a new one replaced it and what do you know it worked. Came home again changed fuel, oil, and air filters. Now the damn thing will only run when it wants to. It seems no fuel is getting to the engine. No smoke no indication that there is fuel getting to the injectors. Fuel pump is running. I ran a priming cycle. Fuel pump is working fine. The first time I ran the priming cycle it started right up. Let if run for about 45 mins then let if set for an hour or so and it would not start. Ran the priming cycle again thinking air is getting in some how. Still will not start. Went to do my deliveries in Vegas with my cooling trailer and tryed to start the cooler again and it worked let it run for a bit turned it off again let it set for a while and it would not start again. I am not getting any error codes but the 20 (engine failed to start). Please help me.
    Are you getting any smoke out of the exhaust when it is cranking?

I must admit I'd go for the run solenoid. It weak at best and fail quite often.

Ifitscranking over i would pull the run solinoid and watch it as it starts, make sure the plunger pulls in and stays in, if it doesn't thats the problem.

Thought you you guys for got about me. I have not got any email saying you responded to my post. Thank you for your advice I will pull the run solinoid and see what it is doing. will let you know what I find. Again Thank you very much.

Regarding the comment on the fuel pump. I thought that too about the fuel running back after it stopped running. but most of the time the priming does not fix the problem. I am sure the pump is right I got it from the TK parts department in Las Vegas. Will also check fuel and make sure its not running back in to the tank.

Again Thank you all and I will report back once I have check things out.

Quote Originally Posted by beekper View Post
    Thought you you guys for got about me. I have not got any email saying you responded to my post. Thank you for your advice I will pull the run solinoid and see what it is doing. will let you know what I find. Again Thank you very much.

Regarding the comment on the fuel pump. I thought that too about the fuel running back after it stopped running. but most of the time the priming does not fix the problem. I am sure the pump is right I got it from the TK parts department in Las Vegas. Will also check fuel and make sure its not running back in to the tank.

Again Thank you all and I will report back once I have check things out.
    If you got the pump from TK I would think it is safe to assume it is suitable, when you pull the fuel solenoid you will find that the bolt on the outside of the engine is a lot shorter than the one near to the block.
    Take the short bolt out fully and leave the long one on a few threads. That way if it does start you can push the solenoid back in to stop the engine after diagnosing the problem.

And it sounds like your TK dealer needs to learn about customer service!!!!!!
    Best regards,
    djbe.

Ok pulled the run solenoid and the engine started up. Ordered a new one replaced it and no change in the operation still will not run. what could it be now? We will check and make sure there is not a wiring problem to the solenoid. any other ideas would be helpful Thanks.

The run solenoid has two circuits. Pull (cable 8DP) and Hold (cable 8D). You can check the voltage at the plug, measuring the two wires over ground (cable CH). 8DP should show volts for a short period and 8D continuous.
    If one hasn't power, check the relay or the timer in the electrical box. Just follow the wires and you should find it eventually.

If you do have an SR unit, open the control panel. Check fuse F401 this supplys the fuel pump and fuel solenoid hold winding.
    There should be a label in the panel that gives you information on the fuses.

Maybe try removing the fuel inlet pipe upstairs and put 12v directly to your fuel pump to check your are getting sufficient fuel up to the engine. I personally had a intermittent problem like this, and the fault i found was that the installation "engineer" had piped the fuel hoses in a loop, causing a very similar sounding problem to what your Having. Check for kinks or looped fuel pipes. Worth a shot.

Hope you solve your problem soon.