Unhappy UK Refrigeration Engineer apprenticeship help

Hey,

(sorry if this is in the wrong forum), im a college student looking to drop out and seek an apprenticeship in the industry of Refrigeration/Air Conditioning engineer.

I just really want to know if it's a good/interesting career? I'd hate to do years of apprenticeship work, and realise i hate it. Is it good pay in the industry?

also, does anybody know companies in the UK that offer apprenticeships (im currently enquiring at york UK)

thanks, and sorry if i posted this in the wrong place

Re: UK Refrigeration Engineer apprenticeship help

I just really want to know if it's a good/interesting career? I'd hate to do years of apprenticeship work, and realise i hate it.
    This sounds like you haven't really done any research on the industry. Why chose refrigeration? - why not concrete shuttering?

Is it good pay in the industry?
    If you only want to join the industry for moiety rewards then think again - hour on hour we do not earn "good" money. Most techs in the game do the job for the love, challenge and diversity of it.

Its called an " infectuos " love for what we do
    You are either smitten or not

Money factor is not a useful yardstick........Hence so many "proffessionals" end up as retired and happy carpenters or plumbers.

They went into their occupations for the wrong reasons

A freind of mine is a Dentist.........It never ceases to amaze me when his eyes light up anytime he has to do make something with his hands.
    Any opinions, statements and facts expressed in this message do not constitute legal advice in any shape or form and is given for a general outlook in nature. You are advised to seek appropriate and specific professional assistance from a regulated and authorised advisor for definitive advice.

Quote Originally Posted by halfcan
    I'd hate to do years of apprenticeship work, and realise i hate it.
    Youll find out pretty soon if you love it or hate it. Most of the engineering apprentices we teach only get about 9 months down the line before they are pushed or they jump.

I think refrigeration is one long apprentiship in that there is nearly always something new to learn around the corner.

After 18 years, I was finally getting the hang of it

Steve

Brady Chalk Guest

UK Refrigeration Engineer apprenticeship help

[FONT=Arial]Hello

My name's Brady Chalk

I was just wondering if anyone could help me in the Refrigeration Engineering Apprenticeships industry.

I'm currently attending college doing a Refrigeration course and i am wondering if anyone has any free placements in their company or if they know anywhere that i can apply at.

Any replie's would be helpful,Thankyou

Brady Chalk
    Private E mail address edited by the moderator - please contact through the member's profile details
    Last edited by Argus; 06-11-2008 at 02:19 PM. Reason: Address edit

Blog Entries

Ignore! .....
    Last edited by nike123; 07-11-2008 at 08:44 PM. Reason: Could be wrongly interpreted.

It would also help if we knew what part of the UK 12 Ann Grove resides in.

No point in asking for help from someone in Cornwall when you live in Scotland - if you know what I mean.

............ if you post your town, then you have given the world your address!

Please change your location to a town, not your street.

you join a trade for love not money and you'll succeed, you join some thing just for money you will fail and be miserable all the way down!

Research it, and that will give you an idea!

I started it as a hobby and loved it, I still do it as a hobby and work, I have a collection of fridges in my house that I rebuild and toy with!

Moral of the story, unless you have fun while doing the mechanics you won't be able to survive the customers!

I am also studying the Air Conditioning & Refrigeration Technical Certificate 6127 and the Refrigerant Handling Certificate 2078 at the Manchester college.

I am from Preston and would love to be employed getting the essential practical experience and skills to go along side my studies but it just so difficult to get your foot into the industry. very frustrating

any advice or another route into the industry?

i just cant wait to be employed and just do the work, i cant start my success story if no one takes me on.

thanks

jake_c Guest

Hi guys i am currently doing the refigeration course at Grimsby Institute and at the end of the course in summer 09, will be looking for an apprenticeship (in the North East), if anyone could offer any guidance or a placement it would be greatfully appreciated,
    thanks jake

since writing this post, im now coming to the end of my 2nd year at college with my apprenticeship placement, and have started doing installs on my own and stuff. Its actually the first time ive read this since posting it. quite funny reading back with people telling me got into it for the wrong reasons.