Angry New Tax Law On Vans

i have been told unofficially by friends who have heard from friends but no-one can tell me exactly whats going on.

they say tax laws are changing on company vans to 33% of the cost new for the first three years and then reducing there after. can anyone tell me what is going on and when it comes into force i am being told april , this will mean an end to the attraction of a van where i was quite happy paying tax on a flat rate £500

seems alot to me but if its right the old tax man is in for a major increase in revenue

please tell me they have it wrong

merry xmas all

Re: New Tax Law On Vans

The UK Chancellor of the Exchequer produces and annual budget report in about December in advance of the next years budget, due in March (2006).

Here?s the report in full:
    http://www.hm-treasury.gov.uk/media/...eport_1980.pdf

Treasury web site:
    http://www.hm-treasury.gov.uk/

A quick look-see of the report does not show anything specific to vans other than tax incentives for the promotion of new energy efficient engine types. You may want to look a bit deeper yourself an you may find something I?ve missed. However there are changes envisaged for company cars and the fuel allowance if it is provided for private use.

The budget itself will obviously be the final word.

Why not ask them if there are any proposed changes to the finance act that affect commercial vans.
    ________
    drug test
    Last edited by Argus; 07-02-2011 at 09:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Argus
    The UK Chancellor of the Exchequer produces and annual budget report in about December in advance of the next years budget, due in March (2006).

Here’s the report in full:
    http://www.hm-treasury.gov.uk/media/...eport_1980.pdf

Treasury web site:
    http://www.hm-treasury.gov.uk/

A quick look-see of the report does not show anything specific to vans other than tax incentives for the promotion of new energy efficient engine types. You may want to look a bit deeper yourself an you may find something I’ve missed. However there are changes envisaged for company cars and the fuel allowance if it is provided for private use.

The budget itself will obviously be the final word.

Why not ask them if there are any proposed changes to the finance act that affect commercial vans.
    Hi Argus
    thanks for the advice and the links i will check them out and see what i can find.
    i have asked my boss what he knows and he tells me he is not sure of the exact figure but says i can expect to loose tax relief of about £1500 and actually costing me £350-£400 with the fuel allowance for private use on top
    he is our national service manager and has had some info from our head office but is waiting for the final figures, which i thought at first was odd but now this ties in with what you have explained about the chancellors annual budget report.
    i thought my mates were just winding me up at first but now it looks like the tax man will be taking a bit more of my hard earnt dollars.
    can you get out of company vehicle tax when you take the vehicle home every day?
    i have heard that travel to your first job and travelling home from your last is classed as private milage by the tax man but once again nothing concrete just friends talking.

Quote Originally Posted by evaporator
    can you get out of company vehicle tax when you take the vehicle home every day?
    i have heard that travel to your first job and travelling home from your last is classed as private milage by the tax man but once again nothing concrete just friends talking.
    The two ways to get out of it is for the company to class the vehicles as pool vehicles (but inland revenue have now wised up to that one) or to leave the van at work and pick it up as you need it apart from on stand by. I worked from home on the last firm I worked for and even though we did not have a local depot to be based from, we still had to pay the £500 tax. I am a self employed sole trader, I own my own van and even I still have to pay a £500 tax for my own van for god's sake!

As Andy W said - the only way to not pay tax on a company van is to leave it in the works every night and just use it during working hours. That said, I do believe there are exceptions to people working on "call out" rota's.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy W
    The two ways to get out of it is for the company to class the vehicles as pool vehicles (but inland revenue have now wised up to that one) or to leave the van at work and pick it up as you need it apart from on stand by. I worked from home on the last firm I worked for and even though we did not have a local depot to be based from, we still had to pay the £500 tax. I am a self employed sole trader, I own my own van and even I still have to pay a £500 tax for my own van for god's sake!
    hi andy
    i will have to mension pool vehicles to my boss as i am home based and nearest depot is over an hour in the wrong direction to which i work

Quote Originally Posted by frank
    As Andy W said - the only way to not pay tax on a company van is to leave it in the works every night and just use it during working hours. That said, I do believe there are exceptions to people working on "call out" rota's.
    hi frank
    is that the loophole i am looking for just need to be listed as on call each day
    i shall be looking into that one cheers