Refrigerants in general

Gents,

Anyone hear talk of new generation of synthetic refrigerants being tested/developed. Putting aside the CO2 and Natural Refrigerants debate, the synthetic refrigerant manufacturers are hardly going to let the revenue of selling refrigerants slip away.

I heard in discussion here that there are 8 new refrigerants with low or negliable GWP numbers being blind tested by different component manufacturers, this would of course negate the Carbon Tax the Australians sre currently experiencing and that we will soon be if/when they come market.

There must be something bubbling away out there....

Re: Refrigerants in general

oh i hope so after viewing the new aussie refrigerant price list for Sunday 1 st july when we get it in Jan next year it will send the price of all refrigerated and frozen produce through the roof

Your absolutely right, the manufacturers of HFC's are not going to loose out to Co2 and Hydrocarbons
    There are currently 2 HFC replacements about to enter the market and they are known as HFO's
    Hydrofluoroolefins, the first is 1234YF and is a replacement for R134A, R134A has been band in New automotive from 2011-2012 and any new model cars have to have R1234YF in them, the second is R1234ZE and is a possible replacement for R404A, both have very low GWP rating of just 4 and R1234ZE rated at just 6, these will soon be commercially available
    Watch this space!

They will have to sell them at reasonable prices too!
    Importers are making 300% per dumpy now. And that's before taxes...

i thought this new gas for car ac was in now however a customer was testing out a new tractor unit mercedes,and it had 134a in the ac?so when is it compulsary in the uk.

I had heard of the R134a replacement 1234yf, but not the 404a repalcement 1234ze, look like they are close in chemical make up, going by their numbers. 1234yf slightly flammable I believe.

The ban on Automotive R134A is already in effect in all EU countries, It does not effect cars already on the road, an existing car a/c will not work with R1234YF so when the manafacturer I:E Ford BMW bring out a new car or a new model then that has to have R1234YF in it. All cars that currently use R134A will still be able to be charged with R134A and will not be effected.
    Yes Goober the new HFO's are slightly flammable and have undergone extensive tests in cars and it is actually quite difficult to get it to ignite, the petrol posses a much higher risk see
    http://www.sae.org/events/aars/presentations/2010/T8.pdf

oh yeah i remember someone coming up with a new additive to aviation fuel to stop it igniting they tested it on an old boeing 707 flew it by remote,crashed it and guess what it burst into flames! so if its slightly flammable dont use it in cars accident waiting to happen

Quote Originally Posted by cadwaladr View Post
    oh yeah i remember someone coming up with a new additive to aviation fuel to stop it igniting they tested it on an old boeing 707 flew it by remote,crashed it and guess what it burst into flames! so if its slightly flammable dont use it in cars accident waiting to happen
    Better switch to electric cars then, petrol is far to dangerous!